Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning a hunt for deer/pigs or perhaps a combination of both. My question is this: I plan to use a S&W .460 XVR. I do not want to use my factory ammo ($35.00 a box of 20) for target practice so I was wondering if it would be practical to use linotype cast [uncoated]lead bullets for target practice and get by with a minimum of barrel leading? I will use a good lube on the linotype bullets to help reduce the leading as much as possible. The factory bullets that I have are Hornady 200 gr S&W .460 magnum that have been cronographed at about 2200 fps at the muzzle.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
how fast you going to push those lead bullets? gas checks?

·
Registered
3,584 Posts
You may not want to, but why not use .45 Colt? If I remember correctly, can not the .45 Colt and the .454 Casull both be shot out of a .460? Why not use the cheap stuff for practice?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Asnswer #1 I intend to load with4227 IMR powder to just below the maximum I would guess around 1800 to 2000fps muzzle velocity.
Answer #2 That's a good idea I hadn't thought of that Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,427 Posts
I'd just use gas check bullets, then you could rev them up as much as you safely would like to.

Have you tested the IMR 4227 loads for accuracy? I'd load them to the most accurate level as that caliber will handle deer/pigs even at reduced levels.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Acording to the The Bore House of Texas the 460 ya can shoot 460 454 45 lc 45 scofield. So there is alot to choose from. The hotter the load the shorter the life of the brass used.

·
Registered
65 Posts
It seems to me that you need to at least sight the gun in with the loads you intend to hunt with , then note any change in point of impact with whatever load you decide to practice with ! but leave the sites set for the hunting load ! Just holdover or under when using your practice load ! I also dont think you will like the performance /accuracy of the slower colt rounds in the .460 Kevin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.