Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lo Pan is not involved in this big trouble, so none of Chang's magic potions or Jack Burton's reflexes will help.

I have figured out why the cylinder on my Redhawk periodically refuses to close, and the problem has manifested itself pretty severely, this time. My ejector star actually came out. Looking inside the hollow tube of the ejector star, I can see threads, and looking at the internal rod when I press the ejector rod, I see threads. I am seeing if I can gently spin it all back together. Is this a valid method, or am I in way over my head?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I was hoping I might be able to fix it myself if someone has seen something similar happen in the past. If not, I'll go to the gunsmith at the LGS where I bought it since they warrant products they sell. When it comes to my Guns, though, I like to learn the fixes, too.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Sounds kind of like what can happen to a Smith & Wesson when the ejector rod unscrews enough to foul on the front latch, and just screwing it back in is the fix.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds kind of like what can happen to a Smith & Wesson when the ejector rod unscrews enough to foul on the front latch, and just screwing it back in is the fix.
And unfortunately, when I research how to fix this, I find nothing but that very Smith & Wesson issue you mentioned. More people need to have this happen to their Redhawks before the fix becomes more widely publicized, I guess.

·
Administrator
22,777 Posts
Did you try screwing in back in and did it work?

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you try screwing in back in and did it work?
When I tried screwing it back in by rotating the cylinder counter-clockwise, it didn't seem to really grab the threads and keep rotating in. It's almost as if what the threads are attached to spun freely inside--sort of like trying to tighten a nut down on a bolt that isn't well secured on the other end--the bolt will screw on a little, but as more threads get engaged, the whole bolt just starts to spin. I don't know for sure if that's what's happening inside the cylinder.

·
Registered
782 Posts
"...sort of like trying to tighten a nut down on a bolt that isn't well secured on the other end...
Any luck finding that other end to hold?

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
It seems that the unique recessed nut that retains the ejector and center pin assembly in the cylinder has come loose. A special two-prong, hollow tip-center screwdriver bit is needed to tighten the nut. The tool can be purchased through places like Brownells, or may be fabricated from an existing flat blade driver bit. Some gunsmiths might also have the tool.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It seems that the unique recessed nut that retains the ejector and center pin assembly in the cylinder has come loose. A special two-prong, hollow tip-center screwdriver bit is needed to tighten the nut. The tool can be purchased through places like Brownells, or may be fabricated from an existing flat blade driver bit. Some gunsmiths might also have the tool.
So, I just got some feedback on the issue from Iowegan (many thanks to him, again), and it seems that the cylinder has to be removed from the crane, a process more appropriate for a trained professional. I'll be visiting the LGS where I bought it since they back what they sell.

·
Registered
3,621 Posts
So, I just got some feedback on the issue from Iowegan (many thanks to him, again), and it seems that the cylinder has to be removed from the crane, a process more appropriate for a trained professional. I'll be visiting the LGS where I bought it since they back what they sell.
Ok. Removing the cylinder assembly from the crane is a relatively easy procedure, requiring only two small punches/screwdrivers to first depress the front latch pivot lock, then push out the front latch pivot pin.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. Removing the cylinder assembly from the crane is a relatively easy procedure, requiring only two small punches/screwdrivers to first depress the front latch pivot lock, then push out the front latch pivot pin.

Thanks for the video link. This might very well be doable. I'll see if the necessary tools are in my Wheeler kit. There's a split-tip screwdriver head, which I'll have to see if it is small enough.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts