Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody removed the "Bill Board" from the side of the barrel on a 2.25" SP101? If so, how exactly (file? sanding?), did you like the end result and do you have any photos?

Picked up an 18 year old model (wow - that sounds pretty exciting:p) and I'm thinking about some modifications... Thanks!

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just pulled my stubby/spurless SP101 from my ankle rig to see what all the fuss is about, and frankly need to ask, WHY?

It is what it is, a very solid and relyable carry gun and as such, what is the point of removing the roll stamp?

Other that is, then decreasing the value of the piece.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
If your mind is set to remove the Billboard do a search here. There's been several topics about it. I have heard if it's true or not I can't say. Supposedly Ruger will not work on a gun that had it removed. Personally the billboard doesn't concern me. It shoots the same if it's on there or not. Everything has warnings thanks to lawyers. As Mr Crusty Deary Old Coot says it will decrease the value.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, I'll put that down as as a "no"....:p

There's no fuss here, I just read about it being done and I was curious to learn how it turned out. Hoping to see a photo. Apparently some have objected to the markings and went to the trouble.

Not interested in decreasing value or having something Ruger will not work on. Doesn't sound like such a good idea if that's the case.

Thanks for the heads up on the search and results. I confess to forgetting to search for old info. Sorry.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
You're welcome. If you go in the link I posted you can see pictures of some guns that were done. It looks good without the billboard but I'm not real crazy about a nickle or highly polished Stainless guns.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I would remove it if I had the tools or money to do a good job.

I've always been one to speak my mind. So, here ya go..... I hate the billboard with an unbridled passion. When I gaze upon it's ugliness it renders to me a foreshadow of the path this countries taking against our 2nd Amendment. This is just one domino in a series of infringements. "It's just a warning billboard, no big deal"..... "Oh, it's just a lock, you're so paranoid".... "Yes, but we can still keep the 6" ones".... "Quit crying, we can still keep them at the range". Narrow-minded, dogmatic, right-wing whack-job who clings to his Bible and guns. You bet your heineken! ;):D

·
Registered
747 Posts
:D:D Maybe more time looking down the barrel and less looking at the barrel would help :D:D

Nothing like a good shoot'in session to help clear the mind of all the built up trash.

Did just that this morning and never once looked "at" the barrel but did put a number of 310gr LFN cast "down" the barrel.

Verified that I an my 5.5" RUGER RedHawk are good to go for any 50yd deer that may pass by.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Another option for you Waveform, is to trade it in for a new one. Ruger has begun to place a much smaller "billboard" on the underside of the barrel. It is very inconspicuous and, if one is into the aesthetics of one's handguns, makes a world of difference in the gun's appearence.

I too would remove those "ugly" rollmarks if I had the proper tools and was confident that it would turn out well. (Actually, none of the 5 of my Ruger revolvers have the roll-mark on the side. They're all on the bottom. :))

But, to each their own. That's why they make chocolate and vanilla. :D :D

·
Banned
4,290 Posts

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I haven't seen a 2.25" SP101 that had the billboard anywhere but on the barrel. But maybe I've never seen a new one? Ruger website photo shows the other side of the barrel. I really wouldn't want to trade this one off - just got it and I like the price on used guns, especially those that have sat in someone's safe or nightstand and have clearly seen little range time.

Opinions on billboard removal can apparently be rather strong.... Thanks Crusty and Exlogger for your views! The comments about affecting value and the possibility of Ruger refusing to work on a gun with no billboard give me pause. Getting your tricked-out gun back with a new barrel and an invoice for the "service" would cause considerable heartburn :eek:.

IF I decided to do the removal I think I would call Ruger first and inquire just what their position actually is on the practice. I would guess by now they've had a few come back through the door like this. Of course I'm sure they don't approve of the practice but it sounds like a lot of hearsay on what happens next if you do.

As for value - that's harder to assess. If you attempt to remove the billboard and do a lousy job of it then sure, your gun looks like crap and it's worth less. But the examples Ruger Redhawk linked to are pretty nice looking, especially if you like polished guns.

Maybe Hornet had the best response: "Hmmmm"

·
Registered
933 Posts
I never really cared about the roll marks until . . . . I saw all of these that have had it removed. Makes it look nicer but like most of us know it doesn't do anything else.

So I won't be removing mine anytime soon.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Question: Why does Ruger need these lawyer-repelling billboards when Glock has none if this?

What magical powers do the Austrians use to repel lawyers?

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Question: Why does Ruger need these lawyer-repelling billboards when Glock has none if this?

What magical powers do the Austrians use to repel lawyers?
Hmmmm...good point. Have to go look in the safe and see what some of the other brands have for stampings/markings along these lines.

Meant to call Ruger Friday and ask what they do when they see a gun come back in with the bilboard removed but the day got away. Will try to remember to call them Monday and share the outcome.

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Question: Why does Ruger need these lawyer-repelling billboards when Glock has none if this? - - - snip - - -
For openers, Austria is not anywhere near as litigious a society as is the USA. (Yet.) Of course, no other country in the world is as litigious a society as the USA. :)

Ruger's decision had several mitigating factors. The first, was to survive as a company and continue in business. Ruger faced numerous product liability lawsuits stemming from the classic design of their single action revolvers.

Since the very beginning of the "six shooter" era, it was incumbent on the carrier to have the hammer down on an empty cylinder or, risk an AD if the gun was dropped.

One of the concessions Ruger made in a settlement of one of these lawsuits was to agree to redesign their single action revolvers. Thus, the beginning of the transfer bar. They also agreed, as part of the settlement to recall every single action revolver they ever produced, and retrofit the recall bar, free of charge in perpetuity. Thus, it's still in effect and Ruger continues to include a notice, included in the box of every single action revolver they sell.

It's believed the barrel warning roll marks on all their products, in the mid 1970's, also came about as part of a settlement of a lawsuit. Though some claim, it was a preemptive defensive decision to head off future lawsuits. I'm not sure which is correct.

Another element in the equation is simply the time in history. You're probably too young to remember, first hand, after the JKF and MLK assassinations, the wave of public hysteria and the outlandishly repressive laws that were subsequently passed at Federal, State and Local levels.

The tactic used by the Anti's was litigation. They went after EVERY gun manufacture with product liability, wrongful death, and inundated them with all manor of lawsuits.

Juries, judges, and unfortunately a large segment of the public, and of course the politicians, supported them. No matter how ridicules and outrageous the claim. And, they were extremely successful. Every handgun manufacturer, large and small, felt the effects. Many did not survive. Others were spun off from their corporate entities and sold to investor groups which kept the name and maybe or maybe not the actual manufacturing facilities. Colt, Smith & Wesson, Browning, even the US govermnemt's Springfield Armory fell victim.

So too did Ruger. ALMOST. At the last minute, a deal for Ruger to be sold to a holding company fell apart and the company was able to struggle to remain in business. All this was well before Glock imported it first pistol in the US.

Forgive this long winded, rambling but, I hope it somewhat answers your question. Just be thankful that times change and evolve. Currently there's a completely different environment in the US for firearms ownership, freedom to carry and defend oneself. Be grateful and stay vigilant. There are still a very large group of your fellow Americans who would like to take us back to the 1970's in terms of gun control.

VOTE in November, be grateful for what we have, don't worry about the "billboard" on your Ruger. As someone said above spend more time looking down the barrel and not at it. :D :D For the record, I too hate the rollmarks on the sides. All mine have them, in much smaller letters, on the bottom where they are completely inconspicuous.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
....Meant to call Ruger Friday and ask what they do when they see a gun come back in with the bilboard removed but the day got away. Will try to remember to call them Monday and share the outcome.
Finally had a chance to call Ruger in NH and ask about this. Response was a pretty definite "Don't!". Guy I talked with said removing the roll mark would be customizing the gun beyond their comfort level by removing the markings that identify the barrel as one of theirs. He was somewhat vague on what would happen if a gun came back in without the roll mark so I can't confirm or deny the stories about refusing to work on it or having to re-barrel it. Sounds like a big issue anyway.

I'll probably leave it alone given my conversation with Ruger CS.

·
Ruger Tinkerer
11,898 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So what happens when someone has all of the scroll work on their revolvers?
I don't know....I'm guessing the Talo model with the scrollwork still has the bill board on the underlug? Scrollwork done by others......?

Looking at it from a different perspective - if you have customized your revolver with scrollwork or a polished finish, a fancy grip, some lighter springs, a nicer sight, jeweled the hammer and trigger, or whatever, maybe you really don't want to send it in to Ruger for service anymore. If you did these mods yourself you're probably capable of doing most any repairs or service yourself. Or you use a top notch gunsmith you trust. It's a custom piece now and deserves special treatment. The factory may no longer be the place you want to use, anymore than you would take your custom hot rod in to the Ford dealer for service.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking Ruger service! They do a great job handling all the stuff that comes their way. Just saying that if you do in fact cross some threshold into customizing your Ruger beyond Ruger's comfort level it's not the end of the world. There are other options.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts