Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know all about Bill Ruger's public positions prior to the passing of the 1994 AWB so I was surprised to find out the following:

A buddy just bought a pre-ban AR. He asked me to look into it, and I discovered it was manufactured by EA (Essential Arms) out of Louisiana. According to people who know about the rifle, EA used cast lowers made for them by Ruger. So while Bill was saying what the Dems wanted to hear, behind the scenes Ruger was making money off of a rifle he claimed to have no interest in. Interesting.

And apparently the J-15 is potentially worth a lot more than my buddy paid.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Not surprising. Ruger's investment casting (actually they are known as Pine Tree Casting), has done work for all kinds of industries since they started in 1963. I know of one. They currently produce the parts for Magnum Research's BFR revolvers.

·
Registered
2,105 Posts
They lie to us.... ergo ..."Turnabout is fair play !"

I believe the Louisiana company is Pine Tree Casting not EA that did the Ruger casting work .

·
Registered
5,205 Posts
I wouldn’t call Bill Ruger a tricky guy, he called for and wrote letters for a ban on high capacity mags..........you can’t sugar coat that.

I have another word but tricky ain’t it.

·
Super Moderator
21,090 Posts
So Bill Ruger who has been dead for 18 years said something over 26 years ago that you didn't like and how is that now relevant to a publicly traded company with different directors and even owners? Don't forget this was the time S&W signed an agreement with Clinton and Reno to put locks on their guns and limit mags. Reno was trying to bankrupt the firearms industry in this country so maybe a little prospective is in order. You want to be ticked off then take it out on democrats at the polls.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
I agree with terry. This is something I posted years ago and probably needs to be said again...

I get a little tired when people bring that up again, the Bill Ruger bashing ...Those were different times back then. I'm sure if he were alive today he'd be on the side with the NRA and fighting this current administration's demands for gun control.

Bill Ruger was more than just a hunter and avid shooter, he was first and foremost a designer and engineer of firearms. In the modern era of guns I would say he brought more innovation and design to the table than no other American, after John Browning.

Ruger gave us the Mini-14. And from what I can remember his comments back then were in reference to the fact that he intended for that rifle to have been adopted by the military. He is quoted from the book, Ruger & His Guns, on page 146-147, "I have often said—and I know I am correct here—if we had brought the Mini 14 out five years earlier it would have become the standard Army rifle." You can read more about his comments in the book. Ruger was at the time showing it to military Colonel's and had been testing the rifle with Marines.

Unfortunately it was the Mini-14 that was used in the infamous 1986 FBI Miami shootout, where officers were injured and killed. At the time it was national news that would be on the same level as the Sandy Hook Elementary school shooting that caused a national backlash against gun owners. Well after that event in Miami, it put Ruger on the spot for the next few years. We can only imagine what sort of stress and public attacks he and the company must have been facing. Let's just put it to rest. No man is perfect. But I for one am glad Ruger gave us some really great guns. And as far as I know, the company has move past that moment in time and now manufactures 25 and 30 round magazines for the mini-14 and 10/22.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,010 Posts
Bill Ruger was a brilliant man. How many other companies can say they made a profit from their competitors products? (ie making gun parts for other companies)

Bill's thing was "Arms Makers for Responsible Citizens®,". As such, Ruger did not manufacture any high capacity handguns or rifles until after Bill retired. Ruger did make hi-cap mags for the Mini-14 but only for law enforcement or prisons.

Prior to the GCA of '68, Bill pulled some tricks that almost got his company shut down. One specific instance was …. skipping a whole block of serial numbers to make S&W (Ruger's archenemy) think Ruger was making more firearms than they really were. BATFE got involved and the only thing that saved Ruger was, there was no specific law against what he did, only long established industry standards. Bill also refused to provide a written warrantee for his products. This has carried over and is still Ruger's policy.

Back in the mid-60's, Ruger was getting sued right and left … big law suits in the millions, plus they had BATFE in their case concerning unsafe firearms (Old Model SAs). It's hard to believe but Bill Ruger pulled it off by promising BATFE to stop production on current SAs and a new SA revolver would be designed that would fully address the OM safety concerns. Further, Ruger agreed to design a modification for existing SAs and would install these modifications (transfer bar) at no cost to the owner. Ruger was not a large company at the time so an ordeal like this would have bankrupted most companies, but instead Ruger flourished.

You may not agree with some of the things Bill Ruger did but you must admit, he was a very resourceful man with a brilliant business mind and one of the best gun designers since John Browning. He also served on the board of directors for SAAM and firmly believed in SAAMI's mission to make gun manufacturers and ammo manufacturers safely compatible.

The hi-cap magazine thing got totally blown out of proportion. At the time just prior to the Clinton assault rifle ban, Bill Ruger suggested a max capacity of 15 rounds in an effort to salvage the Mini-14. As it turned out, the law was written with a 10 round capacity so Bill Ruger got blamed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts