Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting a small bio metric gun safe to keep 1 9MM gun in under my bed anyone have any suggestions on brand/model that works reliable good quality ?

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Barska has quite a few different model safes of the description you've made. I have one of their desktop models that is supposed to hold four handguns. (that is four laying interlocking and flat on the bottom of the safe). Well when Mama only let me get guns I had safe room for, wheels started turning and I bought some appropriately sized shoulder bolts (sometimes called axle bolts). Choosing the proper length and diameter (some had to be turned on a lathe to match bore size). Those bolts went through drilled holes in the back panel of the safe. Then I could hold seven revolvers comfortably and with a couple extra magnets (the "hold a gun" type), I was able to get my go to gun attached to the inside of the door. Push a button, stick your finger into the view port, hear the click and open the safe door grabbing your loaded gun ready to go. Works like a champ. Some more magnets and I have another automatic held onto the ceiling of the safe as well as magazines to boot. All told I now have a dozen handguns in a safe made for four. Not packed or crammed into place, but efficiently placed and by magnet, held in position for easy removal as soon as the door clears.

Here's a look at the model I bought and what they are currently going for:

This safe is just high enough to clear any open sighted handgun with barrels up to eight inches in length. My longest barrel is only 3" so that might be part of the reason I fit so many into it? Another choice is their drawer safe for an even more secure placement:

I've been real pleased with mine and it is really reassuring to know that your loaded firearms is but a thumb away. Smithy.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
I keep mine at the ready personally.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've owned this one for I guess going on 5 years:

Watch the video all the way to the end because they discuss this model at the end.
GunVault SpeedVault Biometric Handgun Safe FREE S&H SVB500

I love it. Built like a tank. Can be mounted in various configurations, including attached to your lower bed rail. If you put it toward the head of your bed, so that it is hidden between bed and nightstand - no one will ever see it. No one can get to the mounting bolts, so unless the intruder wants to make off with your bed, your gun is pretty secure.

FYI -- all of these biometric devices are a bit finicky if you don't amass a good number of stored prints -- concentrate on just one finger or thumb. And then store a least a dozen different versions of that finger or thumb. Then it will work like a dream.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
The first model of Bariska Smithy posted looks like the same one I bought my son last year. He bolted it to the bed frame somehow and says it works great.

Thats all I know about them. We have no children in the house so, in light of that, My EDC is either on my person, or goes on the nightstand at bedtime.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I always wanted a bio, but a little concerned with battery / failure to open issues. Everybody seems to have a horror story and I tend to take personal reviews as gospel.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I always wanted a bio, but a little concerned with battery / failure to open issues. Everybody seems to have a horror story and I tend to take personal reviews as gospel.

GunVault models give you a flashing light when battery needs changing. Also, if battery totally fails, there is a Key to gain entry. It's idiot proof.

·
Ruger Connesewer ;)
444 Posts
I use the non-biometric Sentry safe shown in RSmith's post. I have had it just about a year and have had zero problems with it. They come with two keys which can be discreetly placed around the house. Got it from Home Depot which was also kind of handy to avoid paying shipping. I am reasonably sure that someone can probably break into it in 20 minutes or so – but that's an issue which doesn't concern me much - A lot of other things can happen in 20 minutes. The non-biometric is cheaper than the biometric version and it's surprising how many combinations you can have with the button style Sentry safe.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts