Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finished this one today. My first attempt at pattern welding 1084 and 15n20 and etched with ferric chloride. The handle is deer antler for the guard and pommel with brass at the end and the stick tang peened to help keep it tight. Time to do a sheath.

·
Registered
725 Posts
That’s a great looking knife. I’ve got more bird n trout style knives than I care to count, and they are my go-to’s while hunting. Nice choice for your first pattern weld.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! The smaller knives are very capable in the right hands. I might not want to break down an elk with this knife but I don’t need anything bigger to for most other tasks.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
Looks great.

I've assembled a few knives, but I've never learned forging.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks great.

I've assembled a few knives, but I've never learned forging.
That is a good place to start! If you think about it, knifemaking is a chain of connected processes and hardly anyone does the whole set from start to finish. I can forge, but I don’t mine my own ore and smelt the steel!

You can buy blanks and then start grinding new designs, then you can get steel bars that you can grind to any shape. But then you have to learn heat treating! It is all interesting and fun.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I had one lesson in forging years ago and about the only thing I learned from that was that anvils are easier to pick up and carry short distances than I would have thought.

·
Registered
4,481 Posts
I've never used the artificial sinew. I always used waxed linen thread. It used to be available in 3 colors - black, brown and a "natural" tan color. Have a few projects to work on, so it will be leatherwork time again soon.

Reactions: SlowElk
1 - 10 of 10 Posts