Ruger Forum banner

Birdshead 44 Ride Along

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  ngashooter 
#1 ·
Thought would include newest 44 mag for at least a ride along during elk season this year. Still carry another SA in the field for its adjustable sights & 400g load - especially since a very big bear has still been around with recent warm temps and do have a tag. He is older too and not 100% certain if he has been satisfied with his calorie intake this season.

Auto part Metal

See less See more
#4 ·
There’s nothing like the nervous feeling you can get when you come across a fresh bear or mountain lion track while out hiking around. I’ve seen both. The bear tracks in Colorado and the mountain lion here in Texas.
Nice setup SA45. That 44 is just what the doctor ordered to help calm down the nerves...lol.

#5 ·
Thanks! Love the 44 birdy, it made the cut to join me this year. Ha! ....am not profient with it yet though, for field use. Yes, have both corbon & 44 hand loads plus some 240s.

The 475 field gun, slug weighing almost an ounce is experienced on my end but would prefer about 900fps instead of Hndy 1200fps in 4.75 inch bbl. Its one of my few 'action job' defense & hunting guns even with its express sights, but bbl great for both uses. Defense wise, its not equiv to an 1800fps 12 guage slug, but should be adequate if ever needed but in a handy profile plus .475 has better penetration that .720 in 12g.

Yes the ole bear can make things exciting, if he isnt already sleeping. Sometimes a big lion makes it thru the area too.... there are some female residents tho, as so many mule deer.

Got 3 days left for elk season, coffee break over now.......

#6 ·
The snow has melted leaving a nice rusty red muddy mess... last evening found less than an hour old deer track in mud with a lioness track right with it. She is a much better hunter than I am for sure. No recent sign of 400 plus lb bear, yet. It is supposed to warm up alot over w/e which is usually normal thru this month, there are still plenty of acorns left.

Attached is current 475 field gun mentioned earlier for when I think there is a decent size bruin around. The action is a little bit too smooth for my liking (unless bear is in actual vicinity, Ha!). But keep empty case under hammer and sometimes next chamber too. Use a hip holster sometimes if out in thicker forest where visibility is limited, as this SA also fits previous holster 44 Birdy is in. Had to switch trucks yesterday, swapping to snow tires early this year.

Coffee break over....

Leather Hand Everyday carry Handgun holster Fashion accessory

#7 ·
Enjoyed elk & bear seasons where we looked up into the hills, it was great tho did not fill tags. In between seasons after Elk season was over I did bag 3 squirrels(no horns:) and passed(unusually) on a coyote, which feel a little guilty about. Later in year will see if I can cull a doe.

Geological phenomenon Wilderness Plant community Biome Soil

Mountainous landforms Soil Ecoregion Geology Hill

Tree Wildlife Winter Snow Grass

Sky Cloud Daytime Blue Atmosphere

#9 · (Edited)
Speaking of calorie intake, was scouting around for more big cat tracks in the snow before buying a couger hunting tag this year, came upon a fresh kill.

I wasn't hunting yet, just looking around. Thought, just in case I'll just go ahead and slip my little stainless 44 mag Birdshead (BH) into my jeans back pocket, once I stumbled acoss what looked like fairly fresh deer tracks on a back country dirt jeep trail.

Wasn't gonna be long in the field on foot, just a quick look see, maybe 30-50 yards into the brush from my truck was my thinking. As I proceeded, saw a tiny bit of blood splatter on some oak brush about chest level, immediately my hand slapped at the easy feeling BH grip in my back pocket(loaded with very low recoiling 300g beartooth bullets). Hairs raised, my quick pointing Birdshead in hand .... I proceeded slowly, my head on a swivel scanning all around.

About 5 more steps, in just short order emerged into a clearing below a 10 foot ledge of some boulders. I mean to tell you, that 25 foot clearing was covered in fur, nearly dried blood dampened and trampled into the ground in the midst of all that hair. Kinda looked like a rusty colored carpet where you could lay down and take a snooze on.

Needless to say, will be lion hunting that area over the next 3 months. Plus glad I had something small and powerful in hand during that little shindig 🙂 Would have had my 4.75 inch 475 Freedom Arms holstered (loaded with low recoiling 400g bullets) but figured the big bear of the area was sleeping for the winter.

Sorry can't see my little pretty handgun pics on this thread anymore - had thought they were enjoyable, and inspiring to me anyway. Nice to have access to the 44 mag BH (now my favorite pocket Howdah gun).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.