Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,034 Posts
Ruger factory Birdshead grip frames are steel or stainless steel ... no aluminum alloys. BTW, all types of steel used in guns is an alloy ... never pure iron.

·
Registered
4,039 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the birdshead, can someone explain what it is and a picture would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
I refitted my .357 BH with a steel birds head from Brownell's about 15 years ago. I have often considered one for my 5.5" SBH, but have yet to do so. Lots of time and care needed.

That said, the balance and feel of the extra weight, and the shape and size of the grip was a big improvement. It's actually the best of all of my Ruger SA's. I'm surprised at times that Ruger doesn't make it more available for more models.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I am unfamiliar with the birdshead, can someone explain what it is and a picture would be appreciated.
I think the rule says, "If someone doesn't appreciate a birdshead, then that someone needs a birdshead"! Isn't that how it goes guys? Yup that's what I thought.:cool:

·
Banned
575 Posts
Ruger factory Birdshead grip frames are steel or stainless steel ... no aluminum alloys. BTW, all types of steel used in guns is an alloy ... never pure iron.
Iowegan Kenobi...

These days "alloy" is interchangeable with the word, aluminum. As in "alloy wheels". I know...it's stupid and drives old people like me nuts. I remember when language was more precise. I remember when folks knew the difference between the terms "semi-monthly" and "bi-monthly". I remember when school teachers did not have to think like Zoo Keepers.

Anyway thank you for your attempt at adding clarity.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Oh Yeah!! .... a 44 Spl Birdshead would be great!!
I'm really enjoying mine in 45ACP, but I've got a ton of 44Spl that I feed my SBH; having a matching birdshead like that would be like Christmas all year!!

·
Registered
255 Posts
I am working on a Cut n Weld aluminum one for my own use, I will post pics and results when I am a little further along...I started with a powdercoated one that was in the "Parts Box"...so we will see.
I may hunt up a SingleSix to chop down and make a light shorty "Piglet"..:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts