Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been searching this past year for a Ruger 1953 Standard. I've come across a few, but very poor conditions and excessive asking $$$ drove me away. This "in great overall condition" 1953 4.75" was being offered without the rear dovetail sight, thus believe it kept bidders away. Picked up a rear sight for cheap, then won the Standard bid for under 2 Franklins! It needed a little TLC (touch up bluing areas, deep cleaning, tightening up loose main spring lug fit), but overall the crisp 2.5# pull, easy bolt racking, trouble free feeding and dead accuracy @ 50 yds (w\CCI Mini Mags) means my wait seems to have paid off! (y)

Now when asked my age at the hunting camp, I''ll state, "just as old as she...just check the SN"!! :ROFLMAO:

Ted

IMG_7256.JPG IMG_7259.JPG

·
Registered
477 Posts
Man Theo98, that is a good looking Standard. Congrats on ending your search with a nice specimen at a nice price. Out of all the Mark configurations, I do like the short barrelled Standards.Enjoy it!

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for the supportive comments! (y)

Surprisingly, also hitting targets @100 yds...iron sights...hand-held shooting!! o_O

4.75" barrel may not be accurate enough for competition, but what a pliker!!! :cool:

Ted

·
Registered
631 Posts
Great looking standard and a good year! I looked and looked but had to settle for a early 1954 MKI with the factory muzzle brake. No box or papers but did come with the muzzle brake box.
Awesome shooter. Enjoy yours!
DSC01271.JPG

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,571 Posts
As I stated before these are beautiful and this 53 is a keeper. The wait IS worth it here...
Rick

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,571 Posts
Theo98, I love the photo's here and really love the Standards. Good to see the collection. A good part of searching for a firearm for me is the "hunt" and research part of the process. One thing I have a hard time with is the wait. You are correct keep looking and sooner or later something will happen.
Rick

·
Registered
518 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Theo98, I love the photo's here and really love the Standards. Good to see the collection. A good part of searching for a firearm for me is the "hunt" and research part of the process. One thing I have a hard time with is the wait. You are correct keep looking and sooner or later something will happen.
Rick
Rick,

Same for me...researching, deciding what I want, then tracking down sources, conditions and pricing is a fun and satisfying challenge! Yes, the Standards and MkIs do present an aura of beauty and nostalgia (as far as pistols go)!

Last night, I Finally procured a Ruger 1953 Black Eagle T514 Target pistol in Excellent condition and what I consider, a great price. Since January, four have slipped through my fingers (high bids, owners changing minds, not in right place at the right time). This offer to buy came 2 weeks ago but till last night, owner was on vacation and couldn't get me a solid price. Believe the Wait and Patience will again be worth the effort...we'll See!! :cool:

Ted

1 - 11 of 11 Posts