Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the Bisley bug again and looking at either the Blackhawk in 45 Colt or Super Blackhawk versions in 454 Casull.

My primary use will be handgun hunting with my preferred load being 325 LBT WFNGC bullets running around 1300 fps with 255gr Keith style bullets at 1000 fps serving as the primary training round.

What I like in the Super Blackhawk is its five shot cylinder, extra weight and option to shoot 454 Casull (Have a Ruger Alaskan and Steve's Gunz upgraded Rossi 92 in the same caliber).

What I don't prefer is the 6.5" barrel. My preference is 5.5" barrel length as a good compromise between performance and portability.

The Blackhawk has my preferred barrel length and little more portable because of the reduced weight.

Lose the option of shooting 454 Casull and 5 shot cylinder but some of the models have an additional 45 ACP cylinder.

Price difference isn't overly significant to sway me one way or another and both are unicorn guns or at least in limited supply.

Not sure if this is one of those win win scenarios and I should just throw a dart at the board and buy whatever one I hit or if there is a compelling advantage of one model vs another.

Think I'm pole vaulting over mouse turds on this one but appreciate any input/recommendations you all can provide.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the guns you mentioned. I recommend the new Super Blackhawk 454 Casull.

Mine is super accurate with 45 Colt Ruger only loads.
It's a big beefy handgun and the 6.5 inch barrel seems just like the 5.5 inch.

It's easy to shoot with the 454 loads too. The Bisley grip makes a big difference.
The recoil is so much better than the Super Redhawk 454.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Good info. I was hoping to hear from someone that had stick time with both.

How is the balance on the SBH?

·
Registered
188 Posts
When I went to a custom Badger grip on my plow handle Super Blackhawk 5.5" the transformation to comfortable shooting was amazing. The custom grip extends below the grip frame heel,and the general dimensions are similar to a Bisley grip.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Just walked in the door with the Bisley 454, so no chance to shoot it, yet.

The 5 1/2" barrel is also my favorite, but on this gun, the 6 1/2" works for me. That 5 shot 454 cylinder has a lot of meat and I think the gun would be a little muzzle light with the 5 1/2". With the non-tapered 6 1/2", the gun definitely has some muzzle heft - not excessive, just enough to steady it, nicely. Also think that bit of weight out front will help keep muzzle whip manageable with the hot stuff. We'll see.

Overall, this is a heavy gun in the hand, compared to a typical SBH in 45 Colt or 44 mag. Petite it is not.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Appreciate the insight folks. I'm partial to Ruger's hefty design for my big bore calibers and agree it would be appreciated with full power 454 Casull loads, but the standard diet will be the heavier 45 Colt loads (but always nice to have the option).

That said, the weight would be beneficial even with the 325 gr 45 Colt loads and I find the additional weight helpful when shooting unsupported.

Big question for me is portability. I didn't like my SRH in 454 Casull for that reason, even though it was a very effective hunting revolver.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
As the OP posted, both are Bisley gripped just to clear that up.

My choice would be the one with the most options. Is a spare 45 ACP cylinder option or the ability to also shoot 454 more important to you?

And if it's the 454, then you want the additional weight that comes along with it.
And besides, one can have the cylinder slightly modified to shoot 45 ACP in full moon clips (and removing the cyl to reload of course), if one wanted, and still shoot 45 Colt and 454 safely.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Well if you got the .454 it is a plus that you already have two guns in that caliber. But since you already have an Alaskan in .454, why get another ? If I tromped around in Alaska or Africa I would consider getting a .454, but for the lower 48, there is nothing that a 325 grain @ 1300 out of a .45 Colt won't kill, and it would probably do well in Alaska or Africa as well. There are no grizz left in Colorado, and even the ones around Yellowstone where I hunt are half the size of Alaskan bears. A 325-335 grain at those velocities will go through elk, moose ,bison completely.
I shoot a .45 Bisley that has been shortened to 5 ", and it is a good blend of power and portability. I load the 335 grain Cast performance to 1280 fps., and it is a stout load, but not punishing with the excellent Bisley grip frame. The .454 will shoot those same bullets at a good 200 fps. faster than the Colt, but I doubt I could shoot it as accurately.
If you can find a Bisley convertible, being able to shoot .45 ACP would be nice. You can also shoot .45 Schofield out of an .45 Colt chambered revolver.
I recently sand blasted my Bisley, and finished in a two tone matte Grey/Burnt bronze Cerakote, to make it more "all weather" and unique. Before and after pics:

·
Registered
397 Posts
sandog,

I DO like that 45 Bisley. Very, very much.
Thank you for posting those pictures.

I've thought a long time about shortening the barrel on mine, and seeing your pictures has motivated me to now do it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
If you are going to re finish it after the barre cut, you can remove the barrel warning at that time also.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sandog: You are spot on where my head is at. Even with my Alaskan and Rossi 92, while I have the ability to shoot 400gr 454 Casull loads, they are typically loaded with 45 Colt ammo even when I'm up in the mountains.

That said, I still enjoy shooting the heavier 454 Casull loads but like you, I'm much more accurate with the 45 Colt loads simply because of more trigger time.

At this point, I'm leaning towards the SBH in 454 Casull. If the barrel length makes it less portable than I like, chopping an inch off of it is pretty easy to accomplish but I'll appreciate the additional weight and strength the five shot cylinder provides.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I will probably be shooting more 45 Colt out of our SBH 454 (hubby does not like shooting 454s), but I have shot the 454 and I really like the cartridge, plus I've always wanted one in an SA revolver.

This is a lot of gun. Sheds a whole new light on "pistol packing' mamma". :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It definitely gets folks' attention. 454 Casull has a way of clearing the firing line, particularly when you are shooting at an indoor range.

I can handle 10 rounds with my Alaskan before I need a break. Very interesting experience going from the 454 Casull and then shooting a 9mm pistol. Feels like you are shooting a 22.

·
Registered
397 Posts
It definitely gets folks' attention. 454 Casull has a way of clearing the firing line, particularly when you are shooting at an indoor range.
While firing my SBH 454 at an outdoor range recently, three guys next to me moved farther down the firing line to get away from me.
I heard one of them say, "There's no reason to have a handgun that powerful".
That's what a 454 Casull loaded with a full charge of H110 will do.

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
I've had that experience with my 500 S&W mag. I tell them because even though everyone wants to shoot it, it's still the cheapest gun I own to shoot...hardly anyone wants to shoot it more than once!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Appreciate everyone's help. I just ordered the SBH in 454 Casull from Kentucky Gun Co. At $711.99 shipped, hard to pass up.

More to follow once I get it in and out to the range.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Now off to find some appropriate leather. Rob from Simply Rugged should be getting a call soon.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts