Ruger Forum banner

Bisley Blackhawk ....what's the difference?

7K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Iowegan 
#1 ·
Aside from the grip / grip frame, what are the differences between a Bisley NM Blackhawk and a "regular" NM Blackhawk?

I have one that seems to have been made in 1980 (serial number 35-24683). I thought I'd really take to SA shooting, but it just ain't my thing. Regardless, I am trying to learn more about the differences in Ruger's SA offerings in this line.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks.

Are the differences primarily aesthetic or functional ....or both?

From what I've read, Bisley is supposed to be easier to grip for some and easier to cock with one hand.

#4 ·
The hammer sits much lower and I do find it is easier to cock, especially compared to the Blackhawk. Any of my SAs that are not Bisley get a new Super Blackhawk hammer which is a direct replacement. The Bisley hammer is not a direct replacement on the BH or SBH.

This blog has some good pictures of the hammer differences.

As far as the grip goes some find they like the Bisley much better some don't. It's all a matter of fit and preference.

#6 ·
I have large hands, and the bisley grip lets me fit all of my fingers on the grip. This is great for heavier loads. With the xr3-red gripframe found on blackhawks and single sixes, I find it necessary to put my pinky under the grip. This is fine for lighter rounds and shorter barrels, but with a 6 1/2” barrel, it makes the gun muzzle heavy to me. Also, it seems like the bottom back of the grip frame digs into my hand. This is all subjective, and your experience may be different depending on your hand size.

#7 ·
As nawagner noted, Bisley hammers and triggers are different than normal Blackhawk hammers and triggers. In fact Bisley hammers won't work with a Blackhawk grip frame unless you do some modifications. The cylinders on most Bisleys are not fluted because they are roll marked. Other than grip frames, grips, triggers, hammers, and cylinders, all other parts are interchangeable. Bisley models are available in most of the Blackhawk calibers to include 22 LR, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 357 Mag .... stainless and blued.

Because all NM SA grip frames from a Single-Six to a Super Blackhawk are compatible, you can install a Bisley grip frame and grips on any model with minor fitting. I recently played "musical grip frames" .... bought a Bisley stainless grip frame and put it on my 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. The Dragoon style grip frame from my SBH was installed on my 357 Mag Blackhawk, leaving me with a XR3-RED stainless grip frame in my goody box.

Here's the SBH with the Bisley grip frame. It still has the normal SBH hammer and trigger. It now resides in Tenant, IA with another forum member.

#11 ·
As nawagner noted, Bisley hammers and triggers are different than normal Blackhawk hammers and triggers. In fact Bisley hammers won't work with a Blackhawk grip frame unless you do some modifications. The cylinders on most Bisleys are not fluted because they are roll marked. Other than grip frames, grips, triggers, hammers, and cylinders, all other parts are interchangeable. Bisley models are available in most of the Blackhawk calibers to include 22 LR, 44 Mag, 45 Colt, and 357 Mag .... stainless and blued.

Because all NM SA grip frames from a Single-Six to a Super Blackhawk are compatible, you can install a Bisley grip frame and grips on any model with minor fitting. I recently played "musical grip frames" .... bought a Bisley stainless grip frame and put it on my 44 Mag Super Blackhawk. The Dragoon style grip frame from my SBH was installed on my 357 Mag Blackhawk, leaving me with a XR3-RED stainless grip frame in my goody box.

Here's the SBH with the Bisley grip frame. It still has the normal SBH hammer and trigger. It now resides in Tenant, IA with another forum member.

And it well loved and cherished in Tennant Iowa!

#12 ·
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the last time I was at the Cody Museum one of the 'Arms Room' guys told me that the Ruger Bisley Blackhawk is an 'almost' exact replica of an 1896 Bisley Target Revolver. The only difference is the thickness of the frame, cylinder, and barrel to accommodate today's Cartridge loadings.

From what I remember, I believe the Ruger Bisley Vaquero is an a truer Replica , to form, to the 1896 Bisley due to the rear notched sight frame, as opposed to the Flat Top and Target sights on the Blackhawk.

Was he right, or did I remember that correctly?

#13 ·
KYmountainman, At a glance, a Ruger Bisley Blackhawk does resemble a Colt Bisley, however they are notably different in mechanical design. Old Model Blackhawks were not available in a Bisley configuration but mechanically, they are much closer to the Colt SAA design. In other words, I think the Arms Room guy at the Cody Museum was dreaming. Here's what a Colt Bisley looks like:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.