Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever actually spot one of these in the wild? For a few months, I’ve been searching all over for a model #0873, 0876, or 0877. Those are the 4 5/8” to 5.5” barrel .44 mag or .454 casull. I’ve not even been able to find one online. Ruger tells me they’re in production but that things are moving slowly over there. I reached out to Lipsey’s and was told “We’ve never received any as of yet”.

I can’t tell if I missed the boat on these or if I’m the subject of an elaborate practical joke.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I saw those start popping up a few weeks ago. I was kinda hoping it was the beginning of that line hitting stores. Have you had an opportunity to shoot it yet?
Not yet. I think it is a great "woods carry" form factor, but if I'm honest, the fit and finish could be a bit better. The rear sight blade wobbles around a bit, unlike my older 0802 SBH. Still, I look forward to shooting it at a the range soon.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’ve been having such poor luck searching for one that I reached out to Magnum Research to inquire about something similar in a custom. After some serious consideration on if I’d be willing to drop 1800 for what I wanted, I noticed that they weren’t taking custom orders for BFR currently. Truly a dark time for me.

·
Registered
84 Posts
If you don’t mind spending buy one of the BFR 44 mags on Gunbroker and you can send it to Magnum Research and they will cut the barrel down and remount the front sight and crown it for $100.00 plus shipping. They are fast turnaround too.
I had them do that on my 500L.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you don’t mind spending buy one of the BFR 44 mags on Gunbroker and you can send it to Magnum Research and they will cut the barrel down and remount the front sight and crown it for $100.00 plus shipping. They are fast turnaround too.
I had them do that on my 500L.
Not sure if you’re the Angel or the Devil on my shoulder but I’ve been considering this very option this afternoon. You happy with the factory grips? There are some nice rosewood options on the custom site……if you don’t mind spending $300.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Thanks for sharing these. Much prefer these grips over the rubber I’m seeing on so many MR listings.

Guess I’ll be contemplating .44 mag vs .454 casul for the rest of the night. To be honest, way more frequently than not I’ll be shooting .44 special or .45 Colt with this. Aside from the special being more difficult to find around here, does anyone have a compelling argument for one vs the other?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@Iwsbull, you reckon a holster meant for a SBH would work ok with a BFR with the same length barrel? In particular, I’ve been eying the Galco Outdoorsman. I know the BFR is a bit thicker, but I’m not sure if that extra iron will keep it from fitting.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just a thought. If you get the Hunter version, you have the option of a scope. And why not try the standard trigger first? If you really don't like it, it's an easy fix. I've not converted any of mine. I just got used to the trigger and don't have an issue with it. Although I have to admit I've never tried the trigger job. Might be great. I just like to leave most of my guns mechanically stock.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just a thought. If you get the Hunter version, you have the option of a scope. And why not try the standard trigger first? If you really don't like it, it's an easy fix. I've not converted any of mine. I just got used to the trigger and don't have an issue with it. Although I have to admit I've never tried the trigger job. Might be great. I just like to leave most of my guns mechanically stock.
For me, it’s more about the grip shape than the trigger. I shot a friends .44 mag many years ago in a Bisley grip and there was a notable comfort increase for me over a plowhandle grip in the same caliber. Also, the hunter is a bit longer than I’m looking for. I don’t do any hunting myself, but I suspect this would be my go-to if I ever felt like starting.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Years ago, I lucked into a Bisley Vaquero rather than a plow handle.
As it turns out, they are a better fit for my hand.
Today, I have three pair of these for SASS... 22LR, 357 and 44 mag.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts