Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody used a coin based app and paid for a gun with Bitcoin? This would also be a transaction made from an individual out of state you don't know. I dont use Bitcoin and would fear the transaction would be a scam. With all the new tech I just wondered if anybody has done this or if it is way to risky? Paypal will not allow gun payments I have heard. I would offer bank checks or money orders with registered mail. Even a personal check can be held until it clears but using new tech options seems like a risk trying to buy a gun. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
6,137 Posts
I’m old, that said I would never consider it. I’d rather go to the post office and get a money order or whatever the hell they call it now.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I’m also old and agree with Mark.
For me any private sale, guns or anything else, is US currency only.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The whole point of Bitcoin is that the movement of currency is not tracked and is untraceable by the government. Seems like the worst possible method for the buyer to have any proof that they actually paid for the item in case there is a problem. Also has an implication that there is something seedy about the transaction.

A lot of people are doing Paypal transactions using the "send money to a friend of family member" setting, with no mention of a transaction or anything firearm related. (This is the same thing as sticking primers in a box and mailing them, telling the postal clerk that they are "nunyas".) Equally risky, but if the seller has some positive comments from previous transactions, and knowing that many, many, many people are doing it this way.

GunTab is suggested on GunBroker and ArmsList as a firearms equivalent for Paypal. I have not seen anyone taking payments with it though.

Side note: I'll bet a lot of Glocks get purchased with Bitcoin. Not as many Rugers.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks TheMouse... for the GunTab mention. The escrow account seems like a nice option and I appreciate you sharing.

·
Registered
739 Posts
NFW. Cash, paypal or venmo only.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Has anybody used a coin based app and paid for a gun with Bitcoin? This would also be a transaction made from an individual out of state you don't know. I dont use Bitcoin and would fear the transaction would be a scam. With all the new tech I just wondered if anybody has done this or if it is way to risky? Paypal will not allow gun payments I have heard. I would offer bank checks or money orders with registered mail. Even a personal check can be held until it clears but using new tech options seems like a risk trying to buy a gun. Thanks in advance.
Me thinks I landed on the same page you did. I was concerned, but my McAfee and TOR browser said it was fine, safe & clear.
I did not follow the link or instructions to continue with said purchase.
But damn, that Wiley Clapp 1753 was right priced and new in box...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I do payment transactions via PayPal regularly even when the items are exchanged person to person in person.

It’s a solid way to make sure you get paid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
14,147 Posts
Bitcoin for firearms.............no way! If it is green and folds or says Mastercard and has my name on it yes but bitcoin.............nope.

·
Registered
309 Posts
The only times I’ve ever seen Bitcoin was in email scams telling me that they had access to my computer and to pay them a certain amount thru Bitcoin and gave me their Bitcoin number. Bitcoin and scams seem to go hand in hand.

·
Registered
557 Posts
It had nothing to do with firearms or the like... But a Nigerian princess once said in a very poorly spelt email we had won 50 million in cash but had to pay via bitcoin a very small fee to gain access to it all...I am sure it was all true and correct and well above board...Cant really see myself dealing with anything via bitcoin...

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Are you stealing money from your state when you buy online from a company in another state and don't pay sales tax?

For theft to occur ("stealing"), the victim has to first have the item in their possession. If Paypal doesn't collect that fee, you can't steal what they don't have.

I think you're talking about fraud, not theft. Or actually, just "violating the terms of service." I doubt anyone's ever been arrested for violating Paypal's terms of service regarding the friends and family clause.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
AH! The old legality vs morality argument. Not choosing a side here, but I will point out the following.
1. Because it is legal, does not guarantee it is moral.
2. If something is illegal, it is by definition immoral unless contradicted by a higher law (a state law that violates a federal law is itself illegal). That is an argument presented here. Not sure it really applies, but there is merit in the statement as an opinion at least.
3. Agreeing to abide by rules or "terms of service", then not abiding by them is AT BEST dishonest. At worst, conspiracy.
4. Theft is more than taking "things", depending on how you want to define it. Fraud is in itself a form of theft. JohnR, by your definition, an employer who refused to pay their employees would not be stealing from them. I disagree, but that's my opinion.
5. Because no-one has been charged (or caught) is not a logical reason to say something is legal, much less moral.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I don't agree with your #2. Owning a gun is not immoral, though many jurisdictions make it illegal. Something illegal in one state but not another doesn't mean that the "something" is immoral in one state and not the other. Morals are absolute, laws are man-made and subject to capricious whims of petty bureaucrats.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Looks like bitcoin wins.
paypal, last I checked, is a for-profit business. ebay, last I checked is a for-profit business. Two business that joined forces to make agreements in the transfer sale of items. ebay collects the sales tax, terminating that debacle.
I've made a lot of extra cash I could not have made via a yard sale on ebay, and subsequently forced into a paypal account, and their terms.
I can understand both sides of the arguments presented. But, at the end of the day, the sun will set! And bitcoin will remain nefarious!

·
Super Moderator
16,260 Posts
Gentlemen ... What started out to be a simple question about bitcoin has turned into an entirely different and rather unpleasant conversation that has drifted far away from the OP's question. Name calling and personal attacks are not permitted here! Offending posts deleted and this thread is CLOSED!

Reactions: True Grit
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.