Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In for a penny in for a pound...I have seriously tried to avoid AR's like the plague because I know that subconsciously I would lose a lot of budgetary self restraint if I ever got involved with them.

I started looking at uppers and lowers the other night and started to pick out some brands, I like DPMS simply for the Panther logo,(do I need any more serious reason?) and I favor Stag because they are only 15 minutes away from me. Also for my first build economy is important.

One thing I would like to know is the pro's and con's of the 20" vs 16" barrels.
Does anyone know any of the advantages or disadvantages of either and which one would you recommend? Thanks in advance for any opinions.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Well, I think it depends on if you want a CQB (close quarter battle) rifle or a long range rifle. The 16 inch is easier to maneuver in close quarters, the 20 inch is gonna have more velocity and probably a tad better accuracy at long range. I really like the 16 inchers myself.

And I must warn you, once you give in to the dreaded BRD, there is NO turning back!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Get the one with a removeable handle, then you have the best of both.

Molon Labe

Kim

·
Banned
298 Posts
Also, I recommend the 20 inch barrel. Unless you plan on serving high-risk no-knock warrants in small rooms. I hear that the 16s can be just a little less dependable.

Check out del-ton.com

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
rp--less dependable or less accurate????

I know next to nothing about these but I've got 900 rds. of ammo burning a hole in a closet shelf...gotta get something....I been lis'nin'!!!

·
Registered
540 Posts
I've run over a case (1000 rounds) thru my Rock River Arms 16" without any hiccups. Will hold minute-of-golfball at 100 yards without much effort.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, I recommend the 20 inch barrel. Unless you plan on serving high-risk no-knock warrants in small rooms. I hear that the 16s can be just a little less dependable.

Check out del-ton.com
del-ton.com is already bookmarked as they do have some great prices on the brands I am looking at, yeah I have got to decide on the 20 or 16, one is a little more accurate I hear and the other is a little more agile.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just looking at these bad boys in this thread has got the blood percolating. Discussed this with my son tonight and I have finally found a rifle that he is warmed up about. I haven't been able to get him excited about hunting or hunting rifles but when I mentioned the AR-15 he was like I am right which on those Pop.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
del-ton.com is already bookmarked as they do have some great prices on the brands I am looking at, yeah I have got to decide on the 20 or 16, one is a little more accurate I hear and the other is a little more agile.
I bought my kit from Del-Ton and highly recommend them! (M-4gery in the picture I posted is a Double Star lower and Del-Ton kit.)

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
My long distance, ArmaLite Ar10A4 in .308.

My CQB:

I just started my CQB rifle. Its a Rock River Arms stripped lower. I recently bought the telescoping 6 position stock, with a standard lower parts kit (both are in the mail). But before I can install them, I am sending the stripped lower to http://www.orion-arms.com/new/ for the ATF SBR (Short-Barreled Rifle) markings. When I get it back, I am going to finish assembly using a 10.5" pistol barrel from RRA, of course after I get my Form 1 back from the ATF.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What will be the SBR's caliber? The .308 pictured is nice. I am going to start with a .223 then move up to a .308 as the budget allows.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Keith,
thanks for all the heads up about the AR's, I am taking your advice about getting the lowers now. I talked to my local dealer and he will do the Stag lowers for $109 plus tax. That's better than the online prices, so I am going to do that.

·
Registered
505 Posts

What kind is this one? I too am interested in them, but know nothing whatsoever about them. Is it cheaper to buy the upper and lower separate, or already built? What's the difference between the different brands? Is the difference in cost due to accuracy, or are you paying for the name? Can you keep the same lower and switch the uppers between say, 5.56 and 7.62x39?

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Cody, that picture is of my Bushmaster lower, DPMS heavy barrel and free float tube. I bought the Bushmaster as a complete M-4gery and then a guy from work wanted to swap barrels with me (not uppers, just barrels), so I did. After doing it, I wanted my M-4 back, as although this gun is a tack driver, it is a tad heavy for CQB/SHTF type gun. So, I bought a stripped lower receiver from Centerfire Systems, a Double Star, and bought a kit from Del-Ton. The only thing you have to put together are the lower parts with this kit, the upper and barrel assembly are already completely put together and good to go.

The difference in cost of the different companies are more the name, in my opinion. Although you can't go wring with the ABCs of ARs, Armalite, Bushmaster, or Colt. Some companies do have better reps than others.

If the cartridges are compatable (in other words, if the magazines will fit in the .223 size mag well) then all you have to do to change calibers is swap uppers and magazines. Now for .308 sized guns you have to have AR-10 sized lowers.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Keith,
thanks for all the heads up about the AR's, I am taking your advice about getting the lowers now. I talked to my local dealer and he will do the Stag lowers for $109 plus tax. That's better than the online prices, so I am going to do that.
sounds good, I bought my lower for $139. I knew I could get a better deal on a RRA stripped lower if I shopped around, but I do have a relationship with my dealer, and that accounts to some, ya know? like I am sending off my lower to have the SBR markings, and hes not charging me to piggyback of his FFL. :)

Good luck on building your AR, if you have any questions, let me know.

Keith

1 - 20 of 27 Posts