Ruger Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Sounds like your percentage is higher? Care to ballpark an estimate?
Ruger1967, obviously, you're a numbers guy. I appreciate that. Devil is in the details.

My sample size is 100% for me....but maybe low for you. That's why I say....my personal experience. I don't have to get 'burned' too many times before I'm soured to maybe a larger sample size that, maybe, has no issues. Is that my issue, or is it the manufactures issue because you get more bad press than good?

I've purchased 5 Ruger revolvers over the past 9 years. 4 have gone back immediately, after first shots, to Ruger for repair. Believe me...I'd much rather fix things myself....so these have gone back because they were just so wrong from the factory. That's 80%. 80/20 rule says.....stay away from (new) Ruger revolvers....from my personal experience.

Semi autos, my sample size is quite a bit larger, variety of mfg., and not ever had to send one back. 100%

Everything is relative to one's personal experience.

Should someone else be jaded by my experience, no. Should they take it as bit of information in their buying decision, why not?

Appreciate your questions....nothing wrong with math.

·
Registered
488 Posts
My experience has been much better that the OP. Over nearly a half century I have had two handguns that had 'issues'. Early in Ruger's 'New Model Blackhawks' I had a cylinder pin that the spring went bad on, shoulda/coulda sent it back but my LGS just handed me a new pin. I think (memory is hazy) that I did send a mid 70's Contender back for a spring replacement. I could have sent back a number of Ruger 'Anniversary Model' .44 Blackhawks. I looked through 4 or 5 at the LGS but couldn't find one that had a front sight vertical enough to buy! These days (not counting the recent shortages) when you frequently order a gun rather than inspect the on hand stock to make a choice I would be rather leery about purchasing a new Ruger (or a couple of other brands). I hate the idea of wasting the shop's or my own time refusing poor Quality Control.

Bruce

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I had issues with two different Sig P238s separated over several years. Stove piping and jams were terrible.

·
Super Moderator
21,354 Posts
Truthfully I have no idea how many I have bought and sold over the years and I have sent back only 1. An Auto Ordinance 1911. It came back from the factory and still was not functional so I made my next mistake and took it to a gunsmith who made it both reliable and accurate. That doubled up what I had into it. I traded it many years later and still took a 30% hosing. I was glad to stop looking at it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I've had around 175 firearms pass through my hands in the past 30 years. Of that number ONE had to go back to the factory.

That one was a Sig GSR 1911, 125th one built. There was a known problem that the external extractor sat just a hair to high in the slide. I sent it back to Sig, they machined the slide, put in the wider extractor and everything worked just fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Yes I would look for the black cloud. I have bought 20 to 30 new guns over the years and only had a problem with a Ruger Blackhawk .45 colt. About a inch in from the muzzle the rifling for about 1/3 of the diameter of the barrel was shooting out. I called Ruger and sent it back to Ruger in care of the gentleman that talked to me on the phone and I received it back with a blue job that is what Smith & Wesson put on their handguns years ago and the Blackhawk is extremely accurate now.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's just a matter of perspective. I probably own 20 Ruger revolvers all the way from a Bearcat Shopkeeper to a Super Blackhawk Bisley in 454. I view every one of them as a project and that's part of the fun. Between me (95% of the time) and my local gunsmith (5% of the time), we have been able to sort things out. I only had to return one once because there was no way to fix the gun without a new cylinder. They're great guns, but they aren't necessarily finished. Every last one of them (except the 22's) has had the cylinders reamed for uniformity; sometimes the forcing cone too. I love tinkering with them. My advise is to get some good Ruger manuals and learn how to trouble shoot and tune them. All of mine are now extremely slick in function and dead nuts accurate.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Not so long ago I would have said black cloud but after my last experience with Ruger, now I'm not so sure! I bought a new SS RedHawk a few years ago and one day, while cleaning, just for grins I put borescope thru it. I was horrified to find some circumferential cracks just forward of the forcing cone! I even dye checked them to be certain they were actually cracks. I sent the pistol back to Ruger who installed a new barrel. With just shy of 200 rounds thru it (and exactly 6 of my "hot" jacketed loads) I checked and found nearly identical cracks, although these were actually worse! Due to some unfortunate personal circumstances it took me a while but I finally got it back to Ruger. This time they said the gun was unrepairable and they shipped me a new. Ok, so kudos to Ruger for standing behind their products but the revolver they sent me was a TPOS! Half the time it wouldn't close (even empty!) or I would have difficulty getting the cylinder open. Tge ejector rod would stick every time. Plus the trigger was like 20 miles of bad road and a few other things that bothered me. I spent somewhere around 12+ hours getting things the way I wanted, including removing a big crescent shaped burr off the breach face, making the cylinder workable! The bottom line is, a piece of junk like that should have never made it out of the factory! Plus the number of similar stories I've read here.... I will never buy another firearm without being able to look it over very carefully, including a function check, field strip and even the scope down the barrel! QC seems to have taken a nose dive on all brands these days!
Cheers!
crkckr

·
Registered
9 Posts
Over a period of 50 years I've had...
Shotguns: 2 Browning, 1 Remington. The Remington forearm cracked twice with 3" mags. Both times replaced free. Guess it couldn't take those 2 oz. Federal turkey loads.
Rifles: 2 Ruger, 3 Marlin, 1 Sears, 1 S&W. No problems
Revolvers: 2 Ruger, 7 S&W. One S&W would lock up now and then. I had it fixed locally.
Pistols: 3 Taurus, 2 S&W, 2 Ruger. One Taurus was a poor shooter. Closer inspection revealed a slightly curved barrel. Replaced free.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I vote black cloud as well. I have had exactly 0% out of a sample size of a few dozen new that were lemons or were otherwise inoperable/unsafe out of the box (various manufacturers). I may be on the left tail of the distribution.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own or have owned and sold 14 firearms, bought new, mostly pistols. 5 of these were inoperable or unsafe out of the box. 2 had to be serviced before they really should need servicing. Do I have a black cloud or does the gun industry suffer poor manufacturing practices? I assume I have just had bad luck. Below I describe my experiences with each gun. I am interested In feedback from people with experience with a lot of firearms in the last decade. What is your percentage?

kahr 380...slide jammed out of box...bad machining discovered. Fixed, but poor slide lock behavior remained
sig sauer p250, no issues
s&w 66 combat magnum revolve, no issues
ruger sr22, needed service by 2500 rounds
Ruger Mark IV target 22, no issues
s&w shield, no issues
sig sauer p365, no issues
Ruger lcpII, broken out of box, broken mim part on testing, and mag retention issues, fixed
Sig Sauer M11A1, no issues, serviced at 4K rounds for feeding issues, fixed
Ruger 10-22 performance center rifle, broken out of box, barrel too tight for 22lr, mag release lever problems, quickly fixed by Ruger
Stoeger shotgun, broken out of box, barrel obstructed! torn choke skirt, threads badly machined, replacement on order, no idea when it will show up due to Covid closure in brazil
CZ shotgun, no issues
S&W 43c 22lr revolver, broken out of box, light strikes and misfires with Federal Champ, cylinder seizing with CCI standard velocity, sent back to factory
Ruger LCR 38sp 3in, no issue

edit note: forgot one
sounds like you need to start buying used guns. That way you weed out the issues and only have wear or bubba modifications to deal with.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts