Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a fellow today with a sad story to tell.

On this past Friday (Black Friday), he had gone to his local gun emporium and found a S&W .460 Magnum revolver with a 3.5" barrel - perfect for protecting against rampaging bears while fly fishing (or rampaging trout while bear hunting - I might not have been listening carefully). On Saturday, he took it out to the range to - in his words - "light it off."

Well, the first shot knocked him back a step and blew his hat off. Undeterred, he took a firm grip and squeezed off another shot. After that, he figured he needed to "take a break" for a few minutes.

At this point, he took some time to review his options and decided that the recoil might be more manageable if he tried shooting it one-handed. Not what I would have done, mind you.

After the first shot one-handed, he said that his wrist felt "a little sore", but he felt that quitting at this point would invalidate his "man card" (I paraphrase what he said a bit), so he hitched up his pants, took a firm grip and "let'r rip!"

"Rip" was the appropriate term, since after that next shot, he distinctly felt something tear in his wrist and he was suddenly unable to maintain a grip on the revolver, which landed on the shooting bench in front of him.

He managed to unload the revolver left-handed and get his gear back in his car and drive himself home, all with his right wrist cradled in his lap. When he arrived at home, he wrapped his wrist up with an ice pack and applied the sovereign remedy (beer) until the pain eased up.

When he got up off the couch to go to bed, he noticed that his right wrist was seriously swollen and was turning an alarming shade of purple. He said he thought briefly about going to the ER, but didn't want to drive drunk (bless you, sir).

On Sunday, he woke up with a very painful and swollen right wrist, to the point where he couldn't move his thumb or index finger. Rather than seek medical help, he took some Motrin, washed it down with beer and watched some football. He said he figured he'd get help if it wasn't better Monday morning. Monday morning came and he thought it might be a little bit better - besides, he said, he didn't want to admit that he'd hurt himself shooting.

Finally, Tuesday morning, he woke with a purple and green softball where his right wrist used to be and he finally admitted that it wasn't getting any better. Nor would it, at least for a month or more, since the x-rays showed that he'd torn his radial collateral ligament and fractured the scaphoid bone (one of the small bones in the wrist). I put him in a splint and referred him to an orthopedic surgeon, who will take a look in a week or so, when the swelling goes down.

This was the first time I've ever seen somebody do this amount of damage to their wrist shooting, although I suspect that he might have had some pre-existing damage to the area. Still, the .460 S&W Magnum has to be a powerful cartridge to tear up a wrist like that.

Note to self: my "man card" isn't endorsed for that caliber.

Jim

·
Pony Soldier
8,746 Posts
People do come up with the craziest reasons for not seeking help.
This guy is on another level!!

Greg

·
Righteous Dude
21,694 Posts
Wow. What a way to break the wrist and bank. Coincidently, my scaphoid is damaged, but from snowboarding... I'll avoid the 460 Mag. ;)

·
Registered
5,662 Posts
As a former Certified Athletic Trainer and EMT, and having dealt with some 'interesting' injuries over the years...this one definitely ranks right up there amongst the 'crazy' ones!

Common sense says 'get it looked at' after a day or 2...not 4 days later...when it's not functioning correctly!

Buddy of mine is an ER Doc in Wichita, KS...he spent some time in Pontiac, MI as well...he has some interesting stories that's for sure!

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
He obviously has a physical issue, bone cancer? I shoot a model 500. Yes a lot of boom but back into the hand, I would imagine the Cassul would be similar....

Thewelshm

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
People do come up with the craziest reasons for not seeking help.
This guy is on another level!!

Greg

Years ago, I got into the habit of photographing injuries so that I could later prove - if it ever came to that (which it hasn't...yet!) - how severe the injury was before I started working on it. In my files, I have a number of pictures of serious lacerations "treated" with duct tape and even one fellow who "fixed" his leaking colostomy with duct tape.

I had a mentor who told me, "If all the guys who didn't get medical attention when they should were laid end to end, nobody would be surprised in the least."

Jim

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He obviously has a physical issue, bone cancer? I shoot a model 500. Yes a lot of boom but back into the hand, I would imagine the Cassul would be similar....

Thewelshm
He admitted to an old wrist injury, but no cancer or other problems. I suspect it was one of those "perfect storms" of physics, where the force was applied in just the right - or wrong - way.

Jim

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
He admitted to an old wrist injury, but no cancer or other problems. I suspect it was one of those "perfect storms" of physics, where the force was applied in just the right - or wrong - way.

Jim
It happens......

Thewelshm

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Well, the first shot knocked him back a step and blew his hat off. Undeterred, he took a firm grip and squeezed off another shot.

At this point, he took some time to review his options and decided that the recoil might be more manageable if he tried shooting it one-handed.
Unreal. Is there any school of shooting thought where recoil would be more manageable one handed? :confused:

And how does a revolver blow a hat off? :confused:

·
Registered
183 Posts
So imho, he should have swallowed his pride when first shooting that hand cannon if it was that bad for him . He couldn't have possibly enjoyed it if was causing that damage , and later he had his chance also . Our gender can certainly be a gluten for punishment at times .

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
As has been proven over and over plain old fashioned stupidity does not invalidate the man card. It really really should sometimes, but it doesn't.

·
Registered
388 Posts
And how does a revolver blow a hat off? :confused:[/QUOTE]

The concussion from shooting a 460 is the worst part to me. I have shot one with a 10" barrel. The recoil was manageable to me but the blast is terrible. I can see a short barrel knocking off a hat.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
Doc, some of your threads make me scratch my head and wonder what posses man to do the things we do... this is one of them.

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Unreal. Is there any school of shooting thought where recoil would be more manageable one handed? :confused:

And how does a revolver blow a hat off? :confused:

As it was explained to me, his thinking (such as it was) was that since a rifle's recoil seems stronger when shooting off the bench, gripping the revolver with both hands would also make the recoil seem stronger. I could sort of see where he was going with that (if I squinted).

As for the hat, it could have been muzzle blast (the range where he shot it has solid partitions between shooting positions) or it could have been the barrel striking the bill of his hat. I've seen video of people getting hit in the forehead by the front sight of a powerful handgun, so that was my assumption.

Jim

·
Pony Soldier
8,746 Posts
Years ago, I got into the habit of photographing injuries so that I could later prove - if it ever came to that (which it hasn't...yet!) - how severe the injury was before I started working on it. In my files, I have a number of pictures of serious lacerations "treated" with duct tape and even one fellow who "fixed" his leaking colostomy with duct tape.

I had a mentor who told me, "If all the guys who didn't get medical attention when they should were laid end to end, nobody would be surprised in the least."

Jim
I have a story about my late Father in Law.
He was a stubborn German farmer, who never would go to the doctor. When he was about 70 he started feeling weak and out of breath, every time he tried to do anything.
Just walking out to the mailbox was exhausting, and he would need to stop and rest just to get that accomplished.
His kids pleaded with him to see a Doctor and he stubbornly refused.
It got so bad that he started having trouble breathing, I suggested that we call the ambulance. He wouldn't hear of that, and my MIL drove him to the Doctor in a nearby town.
The Doc quickly diagnosed him with a heart problem, and said he was calling an ambulance to take him in for emergency pacemaker surgery. His heart-rate was 10-12 bpm.
Here is the good part! He asked the Doc. how long he had to live if he didn't get the pacemaker? Doc. replied " An Hour LaVerne, you have an hour to live".
So he told the Doctor he would have my MIL drive him the few blocks to the hospital, of course he had to have her drive around the block a few extra times so he could smoke one last cigarette.
When they tried to walk into the ER he collapsed in the doorway, they were waiting for him and rushed him into surgery.
It was amazing the energy he had after that pacemaker was installed, I think it lasted him 16 years or so until other issues finally took him.

Greg

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
Like I've always said, anyone who can honestly say they like guns with big recoils has obviously never shot one that has actually hurt them shooting it.

·
One more gun
316 Posts
God only gives us what we can handle. What we take on ourselves is an entirely different story! The only way I would shoot one of those is with a good wrist brace and something to lean against so I don't fall over! (6' 6" and 185#, do the physics)

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Like I've always said, anyone who can honestly say they like guns with big recoils has obviously never shot one that has actually hurt them shooting it.
I like shooting big guns with massive recoil, but only when they're crew-served. My favorite is the 155mm howitzer (which also has excellent "knock-down" power).

Jim

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
I like shooting big guns with massive recoil, but only when they're crew-served. My favorite is the 155mm howitzer (which also has excellent "knock-down" power).

Jim
Yeah well, you never been hit by the recoil of artillery rounds then. :eek:

·
Registered
6,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 22 Posts