Ruger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a NM Blackhawk in .45 Colt that I want to install a Super Blackhawk hammer on. I'm just wondering if the part will just drop in or does it require fitting by a smith?

·
Registered
197 Posts
After you install it the only problem that you may have is the hammer nose being too long. Meaning it will keep the hammer from giving enough force to the transfer bar and then the firing pin won't go forward far enough. If that happens just file (lightly) a few thousandths off of the hammer nose. It doesn't take much and you don't want to pinch the transfer bar between hammer and frame when the hammer is at rest. That is one way to break the t bar.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,471 Posts
Deadeye, I installed a SBH hammer in this Liberty 357 BH. It appeared to work but when I tried to fire it, there was barely a mark on the primer and no bang. I had to grind off about .020" from the top step of the hammer before I got a decent dent in the primers. Ruger made some slight changes in the thickness of the transfer bar so a new SBH hammer would probably work in a new Blackhawk without any modifications.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts