Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Greetings

Just picked up my brand new 10/22 International stainless with Black Laminated stock. To be perfectly honest, I'm very disappointed with the stock. Not only is it very, very, dark with very few little grain or contrast showing, it is pretty rough. I was wondering a few things

1. Are all the black laminated stocks on these 10/22 very dark?
2. Can they be sanded (finished) by hand and what will the result of doing that be? i.e. will it get darker or lighter?
3. And suggestions as to specifics such as sandpaper grit or finishing procedure, such as oil?

Thank you for your help or suggestions

·
Registered
2 Posts
the black/white laminate stock looks amazing in the advertising pics and i almost purchased one recently online. but every actual picture i saw i was just disappointed as you were. no way to get it to look black/white zebra like. as far as smoothening the finish, you can re-finish it, but i would suggust returning it, its a brand new firearm. get the one you want

·
Registered
10 Posts
gopedxr

yeah i'd like to return it but i bought it online so I'd have to eat the shipping cost both ways $20.00 times 2 plus the transfer fee at least one way $20.00, so at least $60.00. i don't know, pretty bummed about it all. i'll experiment i guess.

bob

·
Registered
64 Posts
On laminated stocks the individual plys are dyed before they are glued together. You can sand and refinish it but you won't change the color enough to make it worth your time and effort.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On laminated stocks the individual plys are dyed before they are glued together. You can sand and refinish it but you won't change the color enough to make it worth your time and effort.
tyendor even a lttle bit would help. that is the reason i'm so dissappointed with the stock, there is little to any contrast. also rough in spots. i'm going to try and post a picture soon

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought 2 of these in "97" for my sons as Walmart had them on clearance. Beautiful guns but we never shot them, (too purdy), and sold one as we had 3 others to shoot and alter. Still have it. Very low mileage.

Attachments

·
Banned
269 Posts
you'll find the 10/22 is the most ' customizable' .22 caliber around.

plenty of aftermarket stocks.

when I got my second 10/22, it came with a camo stock.

check some online auctions, if you don't like the black stock, you can most likely find a factory stock someone has replaced for something else.

its common nowadays to buy a brand new gun, and the stock just be black and synthetic.

my ruger american rifle came with a black synthetic stock.

I would get the finest sandpaper you could get.

I re finished a set of redhawk grips that had split, glued them back together, and sanded them first with some rough sandpaper and then finished them with some fine sand paper, and re-stained them darker.

depending on what model 10/22, you could buy another one with a stock you like. for what you would pay for a aftermarket stock.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hellraiser and deingy those guns you posted are way nicer looking than the one i recently purchased. way more contrast in the stoks. like i said mine is almost black. I think i'm going to buy a hogue rubber overmolded stock in ghillie green. i'll try to sell the mannlicher stock afterwards. just wasn't planning on spending 500.00 on a .22 which is what it will costr me after replacing the stock and getting a trigger job, which this rifle also definately needs. I understand that ruger (and other manufacturers) are trying to keep these guns economical but it really is bad how these "finished" guns come out of the factory. My ruger hawkeye wasn't finished really good but way better than this 10/22
thanks for the replies everyone. i've got a new post with some questions about scope mounts.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
tyendor even a lttle bit would help. that is the reason i'm so dissappointed with the stock, there is little to any contrast. also rough in spots. i'm going to try and post a picture soon
You really have nothing to lose by sanding it down. Since you will be removing the finish coat I would start with 120 to 150 grit then work my way up. 220/240/320 and at least go to 400. Personally I would probably go to 800. Keep working till it is as smooth as you want it.
Before I start to refinish I will rub down with ultra fine steel wool.
As for finish I prefer tung oil. Hand rubbed then steel wool between coats after completely dry. You can apply as many coats as you like till the finish suits you.

I have always gotten an improved appearance by removing factory finish on any wood project.

·
Registered
6,532 Posts
1. Are all the black laminated stocks on these 10/22 very dark?
2. Can they be sanded (finished) by hand and what will the result of doing that be? i.e. will it get darker or lighter?
3. And suggestions as to specifics such as sandpaper grit or finishing procedure, such as oil?
The color, contrast and hues vary and depends greatly on the wood, how it takes to the stains and the saturation of the stain. No guarantee that any two pieces of wood will accept stains the same. With laminates it's compound more so as each layer can easily accept the stains differently. Different manufacturers will produce different shades as well. Have seen the lighter "silver" and the darker "black" laminates.
The color is saturated and permeates the wood so sanding will not make a difference in the color. It's there how it is. One could try and stain it darker but remember these are somewhat sealed by the process creating them so additional stains may result in a splotchy outcome depending on how the stains and adhesives have set.

I gotta ask...you say you're disappointed in the stock color. Did you buy this sight unseen? Even buying online you'd have had to have (hopefully) inspected it prior to doing the 4473. That is the time to decide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
BLK hawk

i guess i kind of screwed up. bought online for 310, 20 bucks to ship, another 20 to ship back plus the ffl fee to my local guy, i figured i'd lose $60.00 . probably could have sent it back immediately but sat there while my guy filled out the paperwork then decided i didn't like it. I will do a hogue stock (can get it for about $70.00), will try to sell the other stock. a little trigger work and a nylon bolt stop. oh yeah and switch the safety over to left hand and i'll call it good. oh yeah add the leupold m8 4 power with the leupold target dot and we'll see how it feels. if i can't sell the stock I'll play around with it. i guess i could paint completely.

it's cool. thanks for the suggestions

1 - 12 of 12 Posts