Ruger Forum banner

Black Powder Component/End-Item Shortages

3K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  ruger collector 
#1 ·
I recently decided to get into flint lock shooting after having had so much fun with my cap and ball revolver, and as I looked for a suitable entry-level pistol and components, I noticed a disturbing trend. Many flint lock pistols are either on back order or are simply shown as out of stock. Of course, my searches for flint locks lead me to look at C&B revolvers, too, just for the fun of it, and the availability of those is heavily reduced. Anyhow, I lucked into a Traditions Trapper flint lock model, which has had mixed reviews but can be made into a very reliable piece with some fluff n' buff on the internals as per an article I read. Those sold out quickly from Midway USA.

I don't even have to mention percussion caps. I have an order in for the cap maker and primer compound from Sharpshooters just because of the situation. It's a good thing I ordered a 1000-cap package in 2019, or my revolver shooting would have come to a screeching halt very quickly.

Black powder is another issue. The stuff just isn't available. Only substitutes are. I have had great success with Pyrodex P in my revolver, but the stuff apparently isn't all that great in a flint lock.

As for flints, Track of the Wolf has limits on how many you can order.

I sure was feeling smug about having a black powder alternative to meet my shooting needs in the midst of this ammo crisis, but I have been somewhat humbled. Granted, options are still available as I mentioned above. Things aren't as bad for the black powder shooter as they are for those who only shoot modern firearms, but the trend isn't pretty.

If anyone has a bead on real black powder, I'd certainly appreciate it. With the supply of caps I have and the order in for equipment and components to make more, as well as Pyrodex P being available, things are alright on the revolver front. It's just the real black powder shortage which has caught me flat footed on the flint lock front.

See less See more
#3 ·
I am still waiting for my flints to arrive, so I have insufficient direct knowledge to answer definitively. However, the consensus I have gathered from multiple sources is that the substitutes have a higher ignition point, causing them to be less likely to ignite from the shower of sparks a flint lock releases.

With that being said, I have been studying how to best tune everything to optimize the ignition, and I am hoping that much of the negative feedback about the substitutes is based on both a lack of commenters' own lack of personal experience using the substitutes and improper tuning of the locks and flint angles.

Once I get some practical results, I'll definitely write something about it.

#6 ·
I shoot modern equipment, 209 primers and preformed BP pellets.

But, I have noticed the same as you. Primers and powders/pellets are hard to find. I have plenty but bought some more a year ago when the rona started. Glad I did.

Heck, glad I bought 30-06 rounds too. This ammo situation can make a man take up knitting.

#7 ·
I was lucky to pick up a Black Powder supply of FFFg & FFFFg as I traveled past Dixie Gun Works in Union City, Tn. on my way to Memphis to visit family. I stopped each time I did for a while and bought a pound or two. They only sold over the counter powder and would not ship. Have not bought any lately though. A local gun shop owner told me he did not carry Black Powder because the regulations & permit to store it had become too expensive and ordering required a large quantity with high shipping cost. That may be why the real stuff is so hard to find.

#14 · (Edited)
I have shot flintlocks, built flintlocks, collected antique flintlocks and shot them for over 60 years and can tell you the good, the bad and the ugly of doing so (sounds like a lead in for a movie). :) :rolleyes:. If you enlarge the touch hole a few drill sizes (don't go crazy use number drills) test after each enlargement and you'll find your gun witll fire 3FFF with no problem. Years ago I was shooting a smooth bore using 2FF for the charge and priming with no issues. 2FF works nicely in HandGonnes, just have to watch the amount of the charge.

Look at:

You have to check every day as supplies change that much anymore. Have a freind that has a large sporting goods store, his employees put several cases of the most popular handgun and rifle ammo out at 8AM, store opens at 9AM by 10:30AM its all gone. I call him and tell him I'll be there (at his store at ???) and what I need, if available he puts my needs in the backroom. Been this way all year and yes sending any ammo has gone crazy with the special taxes that applies. Most have a 25 unit limit, get some friends together for an order.

Buckhorn Skinners Muzzleloading Club/founder, NRA (Life), NMLRA(Life), AMM-#1641 Hiverano Degree, NAF-#003 Woodsman Degree, Lennie Lenape/Delaware Tribe (Life). No longer active w/buck-skinning, reenactments or living history. Easier to read of our forefather's experiences than trying to duplicate them. Now I spend time with a few friends with liked interests either in the settlements or afield.
All my work is Copyrighted 1995-2021 Sitting Fox Agency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.