Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I am not a black powder shooter, (yet ;) ), but I do have a question I need your help with...

Can a replica black powder handgun, specifically a Navy .36 cal. or an Army .44 cal., be modified some how to accept present day brass cartridges?

Thanks!

·
Registered
457 Posts
It can if it has a steel frame, not if it has the brass frame. The .36 conversion fires 38 Spl. and the.44 fires .45 Colt. I have a conversion cyl. for my 1858 Rem .44 fun to shoot and very accurate, but a pain to reload because I have to remove the cyl. There are conversions with a loading gate and extractor rod as well.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Important note: Percussion revolvers using the conversion cylinders must be shot with reduced power loads.
From the Kit Mfr.:
Caution:
Ammunition must be loaded with lead bullets and a low-pressure, powder charge that DOES NOT EXCEED 1000 FEET PER SECOND VELOCITY!
NOT FOR USE IN BRASS FRAME REVOLVERS!
!

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
Check out taylors as mentioned or kirst convertersdirectly.I will only shoot conversions in remington style revolvers and not colt syle but many peopel do safely.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Does any have some good cowboy action loads,other than what is in the Speer book..

·
Registered
103 Posts
I use American Pioneer Powder, it loads by volume.
The load will vary depending on the grain of the bullet used.
A full load is one in which the base of the bullet will slightly touch and compress the powder in the case.
Either over compressing or not touching is a bad thing with BP or BP-substitute loads.
I used only full loads with APP until they announced on their website that fillers were ok.
Now I use about half powder and top off with grits
I use Lee dippers to measure out my loads.
My method is slow and tedious for many; but I do it while watching a movie or tv shows in the evening.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts