Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a 32 caliber percussion rifle with a peep sight for squirrels. It has put the fun and challenge back into small game hunting for me. Anyone else use smoke poles for squirrel?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Anyone else use smoke poles for squirrel?
I have been using smoke bombs for chipmunks burrowing under my sidewalks. (Or rather, wasting lots of money on smoke bombs, poison peanuts, etc.) Much less fun. All kinds of challenge and character building. They are winning the war. I may have to hire you to solve that problem for me. We've also got four trees well stocked with squirrels. You can have all of them you want.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chipmunks were a terrible problem here this year. My grandson eliminated 51 this summer and didn’t put a dent in them. I need to train my cats better as they just play with them. Maybe I feed the cats too much.🥴

·
Registered
8,089 Posts
I have been using a 32 caliber percussion rifle with a peep sight for squirrels. It has put the fun and challenge back into small game hunting for me. Anyone else use smoke poles for squirrel?
I have not but my dad has a 32 in black powder as well that he used to use when he was able ... he even has a black powder shotgun that he has used for turkey hunting ...

·
Registered
264 Posts
I used to hunt the tree rats with a Thompson Center Seneca in .36 cal. If I wiped the bore between shots, it would dang near put the ball thru the same hole at 25 yds. til you got tired of shooting! That was a lot of fun!

WYT-P
Skyhunter

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,875 Posts
I have only ever hunted deer and hogs with modern inline muzzle loaders. I think I would enjoy having a traditional small bore "squirrel rifle " even if only for fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine is a traditions half stock that barely weight 5 lbs. it shoots one ragged hole for about 3 to 4 shots before fouling starts spreading them out requiring a wipeing patch with some bore butter. Within 40 yards if you can see them you can bag them. Getting them to sit still long enough for a shot is the hard part. Surprisingly the shot doesn’t seem to scare them. Head shots make for good eating.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts