Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,817 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(Is this a new forum, by the way?)

This is for you AR15 aficionados:
Went to the indoor range last night and the guy who owns it had just got in a Bushmaster 9mm. I got to shoot it briefly and it was tons of fun. What do you think - good idea or bad? I'm sure most folks would rather have a .223 version.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I personally would rather have the .223, but I see nothing wrong with a 9mm AR either. If your duty sidearm, or CCW sidearm is a 9mm, then you have the old compatiblity of ammo thing going on, of course the mags would not interchange, but you could always borrow ammo from one and put in the other, depending on the situation.

·
Registered
540 Posts
I wouldn't mind having a 9mm AR. I doubt I'd want it as my only AR, but it'd be fun for our indoor pistol range where rifle calibers aren't allowed.

They do make conversion upper kits so you can have both. :D

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I'd like one in .45ACP-I like pistol/carbine same caliber...looking at a Beretta Storm in .45---would much rather have the Bushmaster/A/R look---I've seen that 9 only in the catalog...that oughta get about 1600fps....

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
I've seen a couple of black rifles coming out for .204 ruger.

Nasty little round. Even nastier with a 30 round clip.[:0]

Prarie Poodles peed down their furry little legs when that thing got introduced.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
Wouldn't be something if Ruger made a Mini in 204, somehow I think that would just set the 223 on its ear just a little.

·
Banned
298 Posts
Think the AR can take a .44 mag, or a 45-70? hell of a lot more useful than an extra 9.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I think with the gas system and such - if U want a 99 carbine like that - get a Storm. It's lighter and probably doesn't get as dirty as an AR.

·
Banned
298 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ShipWreck

I think with the gas system and such - if U want a 99 carbine like that - get a Storm. It's lighter and probably doesn't get as dirty as an AR.
I didn't think about the gas system.

Those rounds are so much fun with a lever action anyhow. And really, whose shoulders can take a .44 going semi auto?

·
Registered
366 Posts
quote:Originally posted by ShipWreck

Ship, the 9mm AR doesn't function using the same gas system as the 223 version. It is actually just like the Storm, it is Blow Back design rather than DI. I would go shoot the storm before buying, especially if it is the 40 or 45 model. The bolt in the Storms are extremely heavy and after extended firing it hammers your shoulder. The 9mm AR's are fun. My newest project is a 9mm pistol and rifle pair.

I also saw someone mention 44mag and 45-70 calibers for the AR ? I have never seen a 44 mag version, but Bushy makes a AR close to the 45-70, matter of fact I think it is designed around the 45-70 casing ? They call it the 450. Thumper. I don't know why the 44 mag wouldn't work, just up the spring rate from the 9mm and it should function just like the 9mm version. Although your major concern would be High cap mags for it.

·
Banned
298 Posts
It would be fun to kick out 44s or 45-70 at that rate, but I think in all practicality it would be more of a headache than it is worth. Aside from making the gun ready to fire that, the other concerns are still there. Like a way to feed it; the simple fact that even though I am a pretty big guy and in good enough shape, my shoulders can only get hammered so much; a loaded magazine weighing more than two guns (for some reason I have this image of an AR folding in half under the weight of 30 45-70s) etc.

Maybe a 454......or a 416......700 Nitro......an "Elephant AR"

·
Registered
366 Posts
The 450 Thumper only holds 7 or 8 rounds in a 30 round 5.56 mag. They do make something like that in the 50 Beo Wolf over match by Alexander Arms. Think thats heavy, try packing around my Barrett M82 and 10 fully loaded 10 round mags in mag pack ? Talk about weight ! I'll stick with my 5.56 and the 308 AR I plan on buying next month. Those other "big" calibers are kind of a specialized deal, just like my 50.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I like my AR15 in .223, having it in 9mm really doesn't interest me.

Of course I much prefer my DS Arms SA58 carbine. 7.62x51

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
.223 with a 16" barrel is the way to go.

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
I like cheap bullets, the more I dislike my adversary the less I would like to spend on his demise. .45 ammo is way too expensive for me to throw thru a rifle for the results I would get. 9mm is better economically speaking, which happens to be my first language. But I would prefer rifle calibers in rifles, so give me the .223.

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
Think the AR can take a .44 mag, or a 45-70? hell of a lot more useful than an extra 9.
The AR is fragile, and doesn't scale very well. A .44 will require the rifle to be scaled two times the original specifications. The .308 versions of the AR's are quite troublesome. The Bushmaster .308 was discontinued due to bolt breakage, and you want to add another .14 diameter to this? I am 95% sure that making a AR in .44 mag would require a complete redesign.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts