Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I hope you all are doing great I 've got a question I was thinking on getting a 41 Blackhawk at the same time I like the Uberti 45 hombre or the Traditions rawhide also in the 45 cal and there is a cimarron called the Big Iron I like I understand that the bullets for the 41 mag are little costly but I do reload any help I would be very greatfull
Thanks
jim

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
41 magnum is a great round,,I've been reloading it for 40+ years now...my Ruger Blackhawk was made in 1972, the year before I bought it..great gun, you can't beat it..I love the 41 magnum round...I use Trailboss poweder for a lot of my shooting because it makes for an easier round to handle just for general shooting..

Now, I also have a Uberti in 45 long colt, I really like it as well, and frankly, those rounds are almost as costly as 41s..so be prepared to reload for them too...again, Trailboss is a great powder for the 45 Colt.

If you ar enot wanting to reload, consider a Ruger or Uberti in 357 Magnum, ammunition is readily available, you can shoot 357 or 38 specials and it's not real expensive...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I order my just shooting bullets from Missouri Bullet Company...hunting rounds are generally Hornady XTPs...

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
41 magnum is a great round,,I've been reloading it for 40+ years now...my Ruger Blackhawk was made in 1972, the year before I bought it..great gun, you can't beat it..I love the 41 magnum round...I use Trailboss poweder for a lot of my shooting because it makes for an easier round to handle just for general shooting..<snip>
Since 41 Magnum is typically in a large gun, use of Trailboss to tame the caliber is not something I would do. The cartridge doesn't really have a niche without either being magnum performance in a big gun or tamed somewhat in some smaller 5-shot, one of which doesn't come to mind.

My 41 Special conversion of a 38 Special GP100 should be ready soon, I hope. That would be where the cartridge performance and scale of the gun would make more sense.

That's just me, so enjoy your 41.

·
Registered
200 Posts
.41 Rem. Mag is one of the great Bill Jordan/Elmer Keith ideas that has a solid following among sixgun aficionados and handgun hunters since 1964. An added plus is it can be had in some medium frame revolvers as well as the large frame guns.

One other added plus about this caliber that many don't consider but has been noticed by many handloaders is the fact that while throat dimensions on revolvers in .38spl., .357 mag, .44 mag, 44/40, and .45 Colt revolvers from Colt, Ruger, and S&W have been all over the map in the last few decades, the .41 magnum's throat dimensions have remained constant at the correct .410 and never over .411 over the same period in guns from S&W and Ruger.

Takes a little of the "hit and miss" out of the equation when trying to buy for accuracy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
My 41 Special conversion of a 38 Special GP100 should be ready soon, I hope. That would be where the cartridge performance and scale of the gun would make more sense.

I'm looking forward to hearing about how this turned out, I've been thinking about having a midsize 357 OM BH converted to 41 Special.

I also have a 41 Mag OMBH, love it. Never bought any factory ammo, always reloaded for it.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Really like the 41 mag, especially if you reload. I use Trailboss (right at max load) with Missouri Bullet Co lead SWCs for target/goof off loads, then Unique with Hornady XTPs for "carry/woods" loads. Very accurate, flat shooting and fun to shoot.

Here in North Alabama, about the worst I have to worry about is smallish black bear, feral hogs and what Jeff Quinn would call "social work". The Unique/XTP load takes care of all of that with authority, and the mouse-fart TB loads allow me to put 100 rds per range trip easily through without developing bad habits. Besides, for general plinking, TB is hard to beat!

·
Registered
549 Posts
I have a model 57 S&W, .41 magnum, and I cast 210 grain LSWC and LRNFP for it. A .41 Blackhawk is on my bucket list. Trail Boss makes rather tame loads and still has enough energy to harvest a deer, squirrel or bunny. A .40 caliber hole makes critters bleed out pretty quickly........robin

·
Registered
200 Posts
Since 41 Magnum is typically in a large gun, use of Trailboss to tame the caliber is not something I would do. The cartridge doesn't really have a niche without either being magnum performance in a big gun or tamed somewhat in some smaller 5-shot, one of which doesn't come to mind.

.41 spl. in a GP100 sounds like my .40 S&W Glock mod. 22, only heavier (w/10 less rnds.)

·
Registered
280 Posts
jimkok,
I got my 1st .41 mag BH in 1971 while "serving" with our favorite Uncle. To say the love affair continues is an understatement. My cast 220 gr Keith SWC's handle 98% of my targets - same bullet, only cast as HP does the rest. The 1st BH was stolen, but replaced quickly. A couple of S&W's, Taurus, and a Marlin round out the family.
Skeeter used to say "if he could only have one - it would be a .357". For me, that would be the .41 mag.; we have a long history together. I have plenty of cases, bullet molds, and other fix'ins - so, we'll continue to be happy for a long, long time!

Skyhunter

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All
I think I might get the 41 BH I think I will go to the store and see if he will give me a good deal on it.And yes am keeping my fingers crossed
Jim

·
Registered
308 Posts
I guided on pigs during college and grad school. I found that the 41 mag out-penetrated the 44 mag, with similar loads on the gristle plate of a big (200 lbs or so) boar. Saved my shins at least once. If you reload, the only round I found as versatile was a Blackhawk in 45 Colt. My wife has a NM Blackhawk she carries in grizzly country and I used to carry an OM 45 Colt (replaced with a custom 454 Casull).

Here's mine (unfortunately converted) with bighorn grips by Patrick Grashorn and a Bark River knife:

and my wife's:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hello All
Am still awaiting my trip to the gun store about the Black Hawk 41.Hopefully I will tell you all I have one in hand. Those are to great looking Black Hawks you have Mr & Mrs Bear Bio.
I also want to say thanks on the reload tip for the 41 mag if I get it that will come in handie.
jim

·
Registered
1,046 Posts

I guess I don't understand what you mean about using Trailboss for a 41 Magnum. For years I just used light loads with other powders...when TB came along, I was using it in my 45 Colt for my Uberti and I saw loads for the 41 Magnum. How does having a shorter 41 Special case improve anything? I remember a guy named Rocky Raab had a blog and he talked about the 41 Special.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I guess I don't understand what you mean about using Trailboss for a 41 Magnum. For years I just used light loads with other powders...when TB came along, I was using it in my 45 Colt for my Uberti and I saw loads for the 41 Magnum. How does having a shorter 41 Special case improve anything? I remember a guy named Rocky Raab had a blog and he talked about the 41 Special.
Try a closer reading for the answers to your questions.

·
Registered
736 Posts
A great cartridge and gun....loading for it is a piece of cake. Win 231, Unique, 2400 and 296 are all good powders from mild to wild. If I had to pick one for loads up to 1000 fps it would be 231. Currently, we have three in the family, two BH's and a Smith M57. All will do less than 2" gps on demand from 25 yds.

Try Missouri Bullet Co. for great LSWC bullets in the 200-220 gr range. For deer hunting, Hornady's XTP is superb over 296 or 2400.

HTH's Rod

·
Registered
880 Posts
I'd certainly endorse that .41! Been around 41 mags since the early to mid sixties...still very fond of my .41 Blackhawk. And, with you being a handloader, you'll really enjoy it!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts