Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey hows it going.

Just picked up a Blackhawk today... in 45 colt.

I currently reload 45colt that we shoot through my dads Cattleman... I want to develope hotter loads to shoot out of the Blackhawk.

Been reading around a little and it seems people are safely launching 250gr at around 1300fps without too much issue...this would be something I'd like to achieve.

Just trying to decide on a powder to use... I see a lot of guys using H110 and 2400, I know they work good in 357mag for magnum loads... would this be a good place to start for high pressure 45 colt loads?

MIke.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I am shooting 25-270-SAA (283 grains) from my Blackhawk 5.5”…

I am using 23 grains of H-110 (Might be maximum) and I am getting 1218 fps, chronographed…

You should not have a problem getting 1300 fps with a 255 grain cast boolit…

Only problem with the Blackhawk is the grip and how it handles recoil. I find it not so comfortable with the heavy loads. You may think differently…

Good-luck…BCB

·
Registered
72 Posts
250gr at 1300fps is a cinch with a blackhawk. Max should be around 1400 fps if you use H-110/296. Welcome to the club!

I like my 4" Blackhawk with the standard grip frame for its pack-a-bility. The grip doesn't stick out so far under my jacket in town, but for fun weekend shootin, I don't think my 5 and 7 inch Bisleys can be beat. The big Bisley grips are more comfy than Hogues, in my opinion.

My plinking load is ~21.5 grains H-110 behind 300 gr Missouri Bullet Company lead, which is a starting load that still feels like a .44 magnum. I don't have a chrony yet, but all the folks who know say it's movin at least 1100 fps. Yay!

Anyways, here's some well worn links for anyone getting into heavy .45:

John Linebaugh
Linebaugh's Custom Sixguns - The .45 Colt - Dissolving the Myth, Discovering the Legend

5.5" Stainless Steel 45 Colt Ruger Bisley

Real Guns

John Taffin (a Linebaugh skeptic who advocates lower loads)
Taffin Test the .45 Colt

·
Registered
236 Posts
My plinking load is ~21.5 grains H-110 behind 300 gr Missouri Bullet Company lead, which is a starting load that still feels like a .44 magnum. I don't have a chrony yet, but all the folks who know say it's movin at least 1100 fps. Yay!
That's a plinking load?...

Phewwwwwwwwww...

Out of my plinking league...

BCB

·
Registered
72 Posts
Ha! Yer probably right, BCB. I should have specified that my single six .22 and my .357s are my plinkers, whereas my heavy .45 load is more of a PLONKER!

I guess what I meant is that I am confident that thousands of these rounds will never hurt my blackhawks, a theory I intend to test as quickly as possible.

·
Registered
193 Posts
45 Colt

If you are going to load hot loads and have a colt clone around be very careful to not mix the ammo and guns. You should mark them somehow and keep hot loads separate, using different bullets to distinguish them from each other is also a good idea,like perhaps jacketed only for hot loads etc.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hey hows it going.

Just picked up a Blackhawk today... in 45 colt.

I currently reload 45colt that we shoot through my dads Cattleman... I want to develope hotter loads to shoot out of the Blackhawk.

Been reading around a little and it seems people are safely launching 250gr at around 1300fps without too much issue...this would be something I'd like to achieve.

Just trying to decide on a powder to use... I see a lot of guys using H110 and 2400, I know they work good in 357mag for magnum loads... would this be a good place to start for high pressure 45 colt loads?

MIke.
Mike,

I also have a Uberti made Cattleman chambered for .45 Colt as well as an Old Model BH a S&W 25-5 and two lever guns.

My normal use load is 9.0grs Unique under a 265gr Keith SWC sized to .454". This is my work horse load from all of my .45 Colts.

When I want to up the velocity a bit I put 18.5grs of 2400 under the same bullet for around 1100 ± FPS from the Ruger.

While I've been experimenting with the heavier loads such as the 300 + gr bullets at 1200 ±
FPS I see little use for loads that heavy and no use for heavier ones.

As for keeping the heavier loads away from the Cattleman that is quite true. The 18.5grs of 2400 will not cause major problems with them, but will increase the wear and tear significantly.

Joe

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the replies.

I picked up some H-110 today... going to order 255gr Keiths bullets from Missouri bullet as a starter... Going to shoot for the 1200-1300 fps range... figured that will be more than enough for what I need... I'm thinking about bring a pistol along for deer hunting this year if something comes up close... seems like a lot of people are settling in the 1000-1100fps range for deer with this bullet... so I'll make sure it figure out charges for both.

Going to take it out Thursday and shoot some 200gr cowboy speed stuff I have loaded up to see how it runs.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I've been loading the Blackhawk 45 Colt @ magnum velocities for years. It's been my experience that a chronograph is invaluable for these. With slower powders and limited barrel length I've found that after a certain point with this fine old cratridges that you reach saturation, and are only wasting powder and increasing muzzle blast. Some combo's would run out of steam at 1200 fps, others would seemingly keep going. Stay away from the heavy loads with the smaller framed "New Vaqueros." Even if the revolver were to handle the pressures, the small grip frame makes shooting higher velocity rounds uncomfortable. I've loaded using original low pressure 45 specs and found the NV's uncomfortable to shoot. I'm reading they're safe for use up to about 20k psi, where the BH will handle in excess of 30k easily. As others have warned, make sure to keep the high pressure stuff segregated from the standard loads.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

I picked up some H-110 today... going to order 255gr Keiths bullets from Missouri bullet as a starter... Going to shoot for the 1200-1300 fps range... figured that will be more than enough for what I need... I'm thinking about bring a pistol along for deer hunting this year if something comes up close... seems like a lot of people are settling in the 1000-1100fps range for deer with this bullet... so I'll make sure it figure out charges for both.

Going to take it out Thursday and shoot some 200gr cowboy speed stuff I have loaded up to see how it runs.
Mike,

One suggestion: Do some research, pick a well known and documented load that will produce 500 FPs at the muzzle or more. That is one of IL requirements. The 18.5gr load I quoted above will do this, and so will your H110 load. But just try convincing the game cop when he asks about your hand loads.
Either have the documentation with you, or shoot one of the heavy factory loads such as CorBons 265 or 300gr loads.

Joe

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi mikeg, The stiffest load I shoot out of my Blackhawk is 18.0 grs. of 2400 behind a hornady 250 XTP. At this power level it still groups well. I use a pretty strong crimp also

·
Registered
83 Posts
I’ve used 2400 in my Blackhawk with a 250gr. XTP/JHP, it gave me the best accurate load. Careful pushing it to magnum capability, except a Blackhawk even then it has its limits. If you need anything with more power, get a 44 Magnum

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
If you need anything with more power, get a 44 Magnum
Naw, the .44Mag eats the .45 Colt dust in the right revolvers.... like the BH, Bisley, Hunter, Redhawk, Freedom Arms, etc... :) . As Ross Seyfried says " Many could be taken with the .44 Magnum, but I always felt like I was asking a boy to do a man’s job." ....

Ross Seyfried on the .45 Colt

Just say'n :) .

·
Registered
118 Posts
Older thread, but for what it's worth, 26.0gr of LilGun will throw a 250gr Hornady XTP @ 1.600" at 1,400 fps avg out of a 5.5" Bisley.

21.5gr of 2400 out of the same gun with the same bullet averaged just a hair over 1,200 fps. The LilGun load is warmer but both are very consistent velocity wise, not much deviation at all.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I use 9.2 grains of unique with a magnum primer and a 255 grains swc for 1200 fps for longer range shooting and 8.7 grins of unique with a standard primer for 900 fps or so for general use. My favorite hunting load is a buffalo bore round 45 colt plus p 335 grain swc at over 1300 fps from a 71/2 inch Blackhawk. This has penetrated a 300 lb hog front to back several times in hunting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just picked up a Bisley 5.5" in 45 Colt yesterday and thinking of starting with Rainier LeadSafe 250 Grain Plated Flat Nose bullets on top of Unique an working up a load.

·
Registered
118 Posts
One of the most consistent Unique loads I've found is 10.0gr under a 255gr hardcast. You can use lead data with plated bullets like the Rainier. Out of my 5.5" stainless Bisley, velocity avg was 1,080 fps loaded to 1.600". Easy to shoot and packs enough wallop for any deer or black bear.

9.5gr Unique was a little slower, but not as consistent as the 10.0gr load.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts