Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sent it back to Ruger last Friday because it was shooting right awful. The CS said the base pin was replaced and the throat was opened up. Other people have shot it with the same results of hitting to the right. I've got a lot to learn about what can cause this, but does opening up the throat have an effect on accuracy problems? I'm confused.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I have a 45/45 71/2 for 42 years and it shoots slightly right with light for caliber bullets 200 grain but on point with 255 and 300 grain bullets.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
but does opening up the throat have an effect on accuracy problems?
Yes. Leaving them undersized is a problem. By opening up the tight throats, for example, on my original Vaquero, the groups shrunk by half and my leading problem went away. Ie. the 'accuracy' was MUCH better. I am assuming they are opening up the throats to .452 which is optimal. They must have been really bad because normally they would say they are in 'spec'.... BTW if I recall correctly, after I had opened the throats, it did move the point of impact a little (mine shot left), but I still had to have my barrel turned to make it shoot horizontally correctly for the load 'I' wanted to shoot in it. Obviously 'where' it shoots to -- is different than 'accuracy' (group size).

On you BH, you can adjust the rear sight of course to compensate unless front sight is so far out of whack there is no further adjustment. In that case the barrel would need to be turned or replaced.

·
Count Ursunk
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is supposed to be delivered Tuesday. Hopefully, the extra attention it received solved the problem. The gun groups good for my eyes. Not where I aim though. Had a holster made for it that I picked up today. Going to try to figure out how to post a pic on here.

·
Count Ursunk
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
UPS brought it back yesterday and I shot a few today. The work they did was a huge improvement. At 15 yds. it was grouping about 3 inches from a rest. For my eyesight, it seemed like a miracle. Very pleased, to say the least. Plus, the rear blade on the sight is centered now.

·
Registered
5,622 Posts
Awesome. Now you can just enjoy shooting it :) .

·
Count Ursunk
3,288 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No doubt about it, it's my fun gun. To me, a single action takes you back to a more common sense era.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,914 Posts
No doubt about it, it's my fun gun. To me, a single action takes you back to a more common sense era.
Amen Brother! There's more to life than seeing how fast you can empty a 9mm pistol. Enjoy your six-gun.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts