Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to buy a used Blackhawk in 45 LC for about 435 dollars
appears to be made late seventies, early eighties
I really would like to buy this gun, but I have two questions for more experienced SA folks:

What is the 45 LC round like? Compared say to .357?
Is it too expensive nowadays?

I know I am a newbie and I appreciate your help

·
Registered
383 Posts
The .45 Colt (technically there is no such thing as a .45 long Colt) is a fantastic round. Loaded as a cowboy round it is great for target shooting and plinking. The more powerful rounds are great for hunting. If you are a reloader, the .45 Colt is very versatile. There is also a great variety of factory ammo, but it is rather pricey. I have 4 Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt and love them all. I could almost say the exact same things about the .357 magnum. One good thing about the .357 magnum is that you can usually find less expensive.38 special for target and plinking. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I know right now I want another new set of "twins" in 45LC for the Single Action Shooting. Right now I have a set of twins in 357 magnum in 4 5/8" but I want the 45s to be 5 1/2".

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
The .45 Colt (technically there is no such thing as a .45 long Colt) is a fantastic round. Loaded as a cowboy round it is great for target shooting and plinking. The more powerful rounds are great for hunting. If you are a reloader, the .45 Colt is very versatile. There is also a great variety of factory ammo, but it is rather pricey. I have 4 Ruger Blackhawks in .45 Colt and love them all. I could almost say the exact same things about the .357 magnum. One good thing about the .357 magnum is that you can usually find less expensive.38 special for target and plinking. Hope this helps.
+1

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
very helpful many thanks

·
too great for words
661 Posts
I sold my .45 colt blackhawk just the other day because I couldn't afford to feed it. If you reload it's a wonderful round but if you don't it's expensive.

·
Registered
5,642 Posts
From the few boxes I've seen in the stores, the .45 Colt is expensive to shoot if you only plan on shooting factory. So if expense is a big deal then ... go with .22 or some other relatively cheap shooting. Also, you don't have as much selection as the more common .44Mag or .357 off the shelf. From what I saw .357 is fairly expensive as well. All is relative I suppose.

I reload and personally would never be without a .45 Colt single action revolver. With a cartridge that has been around since 1873 and still can hold its own even against the .44Mag in modern loading, I have come to the conclusion it really is the only big bore a person needs. What was okay back then, is just as useful today. Load up some black powder loads and have some smoky shooting just like back in the 1800s. Handling the o' .45 just feels 'right'. Just hard to put into words the feeling you get when you have a .45 Colt revolver in your hand.... well at least my hand :) .

As for recoil, you can make the .45 Colt almost feel like a .22 with puff loads, or put some heat on, and slam the o' hand tell it hurts. Your choice. One of the things I really like about the .45 Colt is you get a nice 'boooom' rather than the sharp 'craaack' of the .357. Big and slow is the way to go in my way of thinking. Not into the 'go fast' mentality.
900-1100fps is just right for most applications with a heavy bullet.

No one should be without a .45 Colt Single Action :) . Maybe I am a bit biased. hmmm.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
Welcome to the forum sage613

The 45 Colt is a great round for hunting. Like already said factory ammo has gotten quite pricey and most likely will continue to climb as long as we're still able to buy ammo.

Loaded down they are great for plinking and target shooting. I have a few guns chambered for the 45 Colt and it is a great all around cartridge. Really if you want to get into shooting the 45 Colt you need to think about reloading. I just started reloading again after not doing any for several years. I still have reloads from about 30 years ago some of which are 45 Colt. To me the 45 Colt is very comfortable to shoot.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Reloading is the only way to afford the 45C round, at least for me it is.

·
Registered
388 Posts
From the few boxes I've seen in the stores, the .45 Colt is expensive to shoot if you only plan on shooting factory. So if expense is a big deal then ... go with .22 or some other relatively cheap shooting. Also, you don't have as much selection as the more common .44Mag or .357 off the shelf. From what I saw .357 is fairly expensive as well. All is relative I suppose.

I reload and personally would never be without a .45 Colt single action revolver. With a cartridge that has been around since 1873 and still can hold its own even against the .44Mag in modern loading, I have come to the conclusion it really is the only big bore a person needs. What was okay back then, is just as useful today. Load up some black powder loads and have some smoky shooting just like back in the 1800s. Handling the o' .45 just feels 'right'. Just hard to put into words the feeling you get when you have a .45 Colt revolver in your hand.... well at least my hand :) .

As for recoil, you can make the .45 Colt almost feel like a .22 with puff loads, or put some heat on, and slam the o' hand tell it hurts. Your choice. One of the things I really like about the .45 Colt is you get a nice 'boooom' rather than the sharp 'craaack' of the .357. Big and slow is the way to go in my way of thinking. Not into the 'go fast' mentality.

No one should be without a .45 Colt Single Action :) . Maybe I am a bit biased. hmmm.
Damn right!!!

·
Registered
336 Posts

100% agree! I've recently got in to reloading and it brings a whole new life to the 45 Colt.

·
Registered
79 Posts
You may have a "Three Screw" and if it is good shape buy it. The 45 Colt is a great round. I Have a Black Hawk 7.5 "bbl., with both 45 Colt and 45ACP cylinders. It is a "Three Screw" and drive tacks at any range. My New Vaquero is a 45 Colt and it has a 45 ACP cylinder as well. Bbl., is 4.6" and it is a great shooter for a stock Cowboy Acton gun.
I highly recommend 45 Colt and 45 ACP in the Black Hawk stables.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would add that re loading the 45 Colt is a plus and gives one several options for hunting, target, and self defense-plus Hornady and others recently made new age shot shells for the 45 Colt.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Others have noted the versatility of having a .45 ACP cylinder along with 45 Colt cylinder. This is a fine combination, esp if you are also into 1911s or other .45 ACP pistols. I found my Ruger OM BH 4.625 45C/.45 ACP used around '82 and it is a very handy item.

Regards and good shooting,

Dyson

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just ordered out a 6.5"er combo, have found that with my old eyes the 6.5"ers work better for me for some reason. My new .41 BHK is a great shooting SA with its' 6.5 bbl. My 5.5" .44 SBH is ok, but had to color the fron sight so I could get proper alignment. Have lot of 45acp on hand so am anxious to get the the combo.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Cheapen up the reloading experience with cast bullets. Works great out of my Blackhawk. Did buy a cheaper SR22 for fun shooting and it is, but there is still nothing quite like the feel of the blackhawk rolling in your hand and seeing the holes in paper appear close together. Also brings down deer pretty handy as well.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts