Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first handgun (2005), and first centerfire firearm of any type.
I wanted the single-six hunter, but this was supposedly a Limited Edition (they're still available), and it was just so beautiful with the frame matching the cylinder size, flattop, etc.

Here it is just after I'd hand-fit some Hogue cocobolo grips in place of the black factory ones. Since this picture I've replaced the hammer with a Super Blackhawk hammer, which drops right in. I like the original look a bit better, but the reach on the Super hammer is more comfy.

There's a bit more endshake than I'd like on this one, however the thinnest shims I could get won't fit in. I've grouped about 2.5" on my best day at 50ft, and my favorite handload for targets is a 180gr XTP at about 1050fps. Nice, consistent, subsonic. I don't shoot .38's in it 'cause all that scrubbing drives me bananas! Once my 2400 is done I'll be moving to L'il Gun and full-bore loads. I have other guns for target velocities, and it's time to acclimate to real magnum loads.

The second pic is the gun in its Mernickle FC2 holster.
Pardon the shadowey pix. Lousy lighting and all...

-Daizee

·
Registered
295 Posts
Grips

daizee: I like that. Explain a little about ?trimming? the grips. I thought? they came ready.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hi Neophyte,

The Hogue grips ship a bit oversize. I had to sand them down to fit right. It was my first time, so I'm *pretty* pleased with 'em, but it takes some patience.
I'm not really an oiler, so I finished up the sanded bits with some light brown furniture wax, which worked pretty well. BTW, apparently coccobolo sawdust can be rather irritating. I didn't have problems, but wore a dust mask.

Also, as you probably know, this is the XR3 grip frame, not the XR3-RED, and I might have had to order Colt SAA grips to get the closest fit, as the XR3 grip frames hadn't been (back) in production very long at that point. This was a couple years ago no, so I'm a little fuzzy on the details.

-Daizee

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks, Taurus!

Shaner, it's a strong-side AND cross-draw!
Actually, the holster itself warrants a few pix.
it's hard to get pix of custom holsters "in the wild".
The design is simple. What you can't see are the two loops on the back made out of the outer layer of the two-layer construction. The color is just friggin' gorgeous. It's Mernickle's mahogany color.

You know what, I'll post a few. I just mowed the lawn and need a break. :)
Stay tuned, I'll get 'em up within an hour.

-Daizee

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here are some more pix of the short one.
I should really take TIME to do these, wipe things carefully, stage the shots, work out the lighting, etc.

These are today shots, unlike the others. Note the Super Blackhawk hammer.

Again, the holster is a Mernickle FC2 (Field Carry 2), which rides fairly high and snug. This is a really heavy gun, and you can see it tugging at my belt, which is about as big a belt as this holster will take.
http://www.mernickleholsters.com/fc/fc2.html
I'll almost certainly get another Mernickle holster in the future. It's just a question of for what gun.

The whole rig (those are .38's - they were handy):

The other side:

The back, showing strong and cross loops. There's an imprint of Mernickle in his cowboy garb slinging his sixgun - pretty cool. it says "4-5/8 Ruger":

Just the gun. Couldn't resist a peek at the rollmark. Discoloration is just uneven wiping from the silicon cloth:

Worn strong-side (righty). Turns out these pix are hard to take! The mirror didn't work at all:

Cross-draw:

-Daizee

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts

·
Registered
917 Posts
Very nice OP! It's a beast! ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts