Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Elsewhere I've blah-blahed about the new Blackhawl .45 Colt, and commented about the fugly black plastic/rubber checkered grips. Let's make no mistake. It shot fine and handled recoil fine with 255gr HSM softballs. But ... it just looked ... bleah.

I narrowed down to Altamont upon friend's recommendation and another vendor. Other vendor walnut web pics looked very wide at the bottom flair, and Altamont walnut looked almost like zebra wood with wild contrasting figure. I sent inquiries to both. Altamont replied within 24 hours, no reply from the other. RocDoc mentioned Altamont's closeout page. Another inquiry to the other vendor, again no reply.

I picked up Altamont's "super walnut" slim panels for less than ½ price plus reasonable shipping. Beautiful color, appropriate figure. Oh yeah. Perfect fit :D. Only thing else was delivery ... a day*early*

Old saying, "you can have it good, fast, or cheap, pick any two." I scored all 3. No affiliation with them yada yada, just a happy camper with a Blackhawk that is fun, shoots well, and looks sharp.

-jb, good experiences deserve attaboys

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, I knew that was coming, right after hitting the <send> button :rolleyes: Let's try this:

Before

After

-jb, hoping they're properly resized

·
Registered
662 Posts
Altamont makes some good looking grips but the two sets I ordered on for a Luger and the other for a 686 Smith fit like crap. To big a gap around the Luger safety and the Coke Bottle grips for the 686 had a gap and needed to be trimmed down. No more for me. They replaced the 686 grips but the new ones still had the same problem, Luger grips they said the would pass the information on to the designers.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've also had good results using Altamont grips. They supply the factory grips for some Ruger and Brownng models, so they have access to the factory specifications and the grips fit well. For other manufacturers or out of production models, they may not fit as well as they don't have the factory drawings. I'm not sure who else besides Ruger and Browning they supply; does anyone know of other makers who use Altamont grips?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Late following up
Thanks DQL. I'm a semiauto guy, back since the days of IPSC. Somehow I just got the bug for a big mouth revolver, settled on it and starting to dress it up. Next: proper holster under a gazillion dollars.

-jb, appreciate the comment

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Bob
1. I love pizza
2. I've seen several Threepersons, but completely missed epsaddlery. They are pure quality. The 1930 Austin is awful purdy too.

Thank you for the reminder (y)

-jb, leather hunting

·
Registered
885 Posts
Several years ago I bought a new 5.5” Super BH, but didn’t care for the standard length grip frame. Didn’t want the longer “dragoon” trigger guard either, so I ordered the SBH Hunter grip frame with the round trigger guard from Brownell’s to be fitted by my gunsmith.

Then ordered the silver/black laminated grip panels from Altamont. I think the change looked great and fit my hand much better.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts