Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been poking around for a while thinking about getting another single six or a bear cat. I had also been eying SA centerfires. This morning I dropped by a gun shop and seem to have brought in my will power and left the won't power in the truck. Looked at a Blackhawk .357. The clerk said he had it in convertable and my won't power left the truck and was at least two blocks away. I said "let's do it."

Out of the box, it shot 147 gr .357 8" high at 15 yards. It took me a while to get the sights adjusted. After that the only thing wrong with accuracy was the part that pulled the trigger.

Some of the movement on the target was me twiddling the sights. But, for a first time out, I was reasonably satisfied with the results. The .357 was a pleasure to shoot in this revolver. I thought the recoil was reasonably light. Another shooter said he didn't like the recoil.

I'm not as pleased with how I did with 9mm. I shot mostly 125gr lrn reloads and it took a while for me and the revolver to get on target. I did learn that Wolf ammo is not a good idea. I fired 4 rounds and had to remove the cylinder and tap the out with a drift pin. The steel casings tightened up considerably in the chamber. No problems with brass.

My first Blackhawk. Nice pistola. I have a feeling it may not be my last one.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
Your grandchildren will also most likely enjoy shooting it some day. It's a fine looking firearm.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks.

I like the way this thing shoots in .357. Grip, weight or whatever, it felt more like I was shooting .38. I wasn't as impressed with the 9mm. Not sure if it was me, the reloads I was shooting or the pistol. I'll try to wring that out next weekend. My only regret with getting this thing is that I didn't do it sooner.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
I've always heard that the 9mm doesn't shoot as well as the .357 or .38 because the 9mm is a smaller diameter. This messes with accuracy. I don't own one so can't testify to this, but it's what I've read. I'd stick with .38's for plinking. They're cheap and accurate. :)

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,687 Posts
I ran into a good deal on a BN-34X (4 5/8" BH with 9mm cylinder) a few weeks ago. Mine is also a New Model and was made in 1981. The revolver is dead nuts with my 357 Mag reloads but the 9mm cylinder leaves a lot to be desired. My best 25 yard groups were 5" with the 9mm and under an inch with 140 gr 357 Mags.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Congrats!
i suspose a feller could reload for the 9mm which would help.

Even though the accuracy may not be up to par there in the 9mm, it is still nice to know you have the capacity to use 9mm within the range limitations of that paticular weapon if the SHTF.

·
Count Ursunk
3,356 Posts
those are great lookin irons.....they will surprise you whith the accuracy ....once you get it fine tuned. had a nmbh 357 4 5/8 that I traded for a s and w 45acp. I was sick for doing that.

·
16,687 Posts
I wouldn't waste my time reloading 9mm ammo for this gun. In my opinion, the 9mm cylinder is great for shooting up left over 9mm ammo .... nothing more. If you want to reload ammo, go for something more accurate and equally cheap, like 38 Specials.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I wouldn't waste my time reloading 9mm ammo for this gun. In my opinion, the 9mm cylinder is great for shooting up left over 9mm ammo .... nothing more. If you want to reload ammo, go for something more accurate and equally cheap, like 38 Specials.
Are you saying that because the 9mm part of this is not that good? I wasn't as impressed with the relatively accuracy compared to the .357, but figured I'd spend a bit more time with it. First time out with a new gun and there are lots of variables, especially the part pulling the trigger.

I reload 9mm for an M&P9. This one will probably see a lot more reloaded .38/.357 than it will 9mm. I like shooting .38 special.

·
Super Moderator
21,697 Posts
I'd probably try some 9MM cast bullets just for S&G. It may be a waste of time but being retired thats what I do best.

·
16,687 Posts
This isn't my first 357/9mm convertible and I've shot quite a few of them.. I've yet to see a 9mm cylinder get decent accuracy. The jacketed 9mm bullets are .002" smaller in diameter (.355") than bullets for a 357 Mag or 38 Special (.357"). Same with lead ... 9mm lead bullets run .356", 38 Specials run .358". Because the bullets are .002" under bore diameter, about the best you can expect for accuracy is 4-5" groups @ 25 yds from a rest. If you are happy with that accuracy, go for it. I don't remember my 9mm chronograph numbers but they were way lower than the same ammo fired from a 9mm semi-auto. The B/C gap and loose bullet-to-bore fit allow too much pressure to escape. Me ... I'll just shoot 38s or 357s and leave the 9mm cylinder at home.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since the only time I shoot a handgun from a rest is when I'm sighting in a scope, I'd probably have to be satisfied with groups measured in tire sizes with 9mm at 25 yards. The other downside was that I had to adjust the sights more than I suspected when I switched. I'll send some more 9mm down range but it will be a .38/.357 primarily.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I put about 24 rounds of 9mm through the Blackhawk today. Results were better than the first time. Groupings were better. I did better with .38 special than 9mm. I thoroughly enjoy shooting this beast.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Jacketed 9mm bullets are sized to .355 and .38/357 bullets are .357. Lead bullets for the 9mm are .356 and you can order cast bullets all the way up to .358 for the 9mm which should give you outstanding accuracy.

http://www.pennbullets.com/9mm/9mm-caliber.html

Sometimes orders from Penn can take quite awhile but they have very reasonable prices. Of course this only helps if you reload.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts