Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I'm planning un picking up a new Blackhawk convertible 45 acp/45 colt. Im seeing a lot of posts about tight cylinder throats in 45 caliber Blackhawks. Seems to be an issue with older ones. hopefully the new one wont be afflicted.
Does anyone know if it's still an issue?
Thanks

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, Ruger has not done anything to address the tight throats in .45’s. It’s been two or three years since my last ruger .45, but I reamed out the throats. It’s a simple procedure with the right tools and shouldn’t frighten you from a Ruger .45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
My Flattop Convertibles, one from 10 years ago and the other one made last year had to be reamed.
Ruger has been using the same cutter lately to do all 6 chambers, so now at least they are the same size, if a bit undersize.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Mine (purchased in 2018) had to reamed as well. Don’t let that scare you off, they are great guns. It’s a shame Ruger isn’t able to address the problem though.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
I believe they are better .... but not optimum. I have to ream every one of mine including the .45 ACP cylinders. My new Vaquero and flattops were 'close', while the older ones were way off.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ruger Folks, New guy here... I recently purchased a 'lightly used' Flattop Blackhawk convertible 45C/45ACP, at a local gun show. At the time I knew nothing about this "throat-issue". Now I'm wondering about it, & if there is someone around to ream the cylinders if needed. What is the best way to check the cylinder throats... Please forgive my ignorance about this issue...... Idaho-45-5R

·
Registered
15 Posts
So, if I understand correctly, .4525 is optimal for the Colt cylinder. What would be best for the ACP cylinder if one only planned to shoot jacketed bullets there, .4525 also, or something different? And where would you send your gun to have cylinders reamed and forcing cone chamfered?

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,063 Posts
sandog, That's just a rumor …. Ruger is still "power gang reaming" cylinders. I just reamed a 45 Colt Blackhawk cylinder where all 6 throats were undersized from .448" to .451", Throat diameters have been an ongoing problem with Ruger 45 cals since the first OMs were made back in 1971. Hit and miss …. some are perfect (.4525"), many are undersized. Oval throats are common too. That's because Ruger doesn't change reamers when they get dull or worn. Manson reamers are good for about 100 throats … Clymer reamers are better but still get dull. Hard to say what Ruger uses???

·
Registered
35 Posts
My 45 colt cylinder was under. Just reamed them out to .4525, like lowegan said. 45 acp cylinder was fine.

·
Registered
5,550 Posts
What is the best way to check the cylinder throats..
The 'easiest' way is to use .452 bullet ( I use one of my 250g RNFP bullets that I reload with) . It should pass thru each (clean) throat with finger pressure. The other method is to use minus pin gauges to get a more exact reading. I bought the reamer myself as this is an easy process to do. I also have the forcing cone cutter as well. That said, there was someone on the forum that offered the reaming as a service for a nominal fee.

·
Registered
14 Posts
added a new model 45 convertible Blackhawk to my collection. Measured the cylinder throats and they are anywhere from .447 to .451. Have a reamer coming from Brownells. Any tips or tricks when reaming?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts