Ruger Forum banner

Blackhawk Convertible

3K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  CERT 44 
#1 ·
There are some good deals out currently on the Blackhawk that comes with the extra 9mm cylinder. I curious to hear from others who have them. Is this something you would recommend to others? If were to buy one, would I be likely to use the 9mm cylinder a lot?

#3 ·
If you shoot 9mm then it is an 'option'. Right now the convertible is the 'only' way of getting a medium frame flattop in .357 which is why I got one (the 5 1/2" barrel length being a big bonus to me). My 9mm cylinder will not be used much if at all ... but by golly I got a 5 1/2" blued medium frame .357 flattop to go with my .44Special and .45 Colt flattops!

#6 ·
I'm thinking this is different than when they try to get me excited about a .22LR revolver that comes with an extra magnum cylinder. I'm not really interested in .22 magnum, and it's much more expensive than .22 LR.

With 9mm it's the other way around. I like 9mm, and it's cheap to shoot.

#8 ·
I have a blued .357 Blackhawk with a 6 1/2 barrel. I bought a 9mm cylinder off of eBay. Factory 9mm jacketed ammo has been working good for me. Not so with some reloads with lead bullets. Bullets are keyholing at 50 feet. Either way I look at it as a great combo. I use it to burn up my oddball ammo. Slow the pace down shooting steel plates.

#11 ·
Recently purchased (won) a used New Model Blackhawk Flattop with 357/9mm cylinders on the "medium frame". Honestly, I've been shooting only .38 Specials and 9mm. Love those under $10.00 boxes of 9mm at Walmart. Yes, in my opinion the 9mm cylinders are worth more than what you pay for them.

#15 ·
Oh, 'you' might be satisfied ... But for some reason, they just seem to multiple regardless ;) .

#16 ·
While the extra 9mm cylinder gives a great revolver the ability to shoot cheap 9mm ammo, the "catch" is the same issue as with the Single Six convertible.

The .357 bore on the Blackhawk is oversized for the .355 9mm cartridge just as the .224 bore for the .22 magnum is oversize for the .22 LR cylinder with the Single Six.

The only convertible where the bore is correct with both cylinders is the .45 Colt/.45 ACP Blackhawk convertible.

This would be my choice.

#18 ·
.002 just could be just the difference between hitting or missing ;) ... Other than that, not a thing :) .

#19 ·
Who cares whether the 9mm is accurate or not. That revolver is just too much fun to get all nit-picky about that. Versatile too. What other revolver can you get 4 different rounds out of the same barrel? (38 Spl, 38+P, 357 Mag, 9mm). Just wish I could find one for those deals you're talking about. They don't come cheap around here.

#21 ·
I have one, and honestly don't use the 9mm cylinder much at all. Why? I have lots of 9mm's to plink with, and if I'm going to carry a full BH then I want the full-power .357 Mag. On that note, I do shoot .38 Specials in the .357 Mag cylinder a LOT and if I'm going to plink, then that's how I do it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.