Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a question regarding a Blackhawk. It appears that when the
revolver is fired or after cocking and manually easing the hammer down,
that the hammer will still move forward ever-so-slightly if you put your
thumb on the hammer spur and lightly push forward on it. I noticed it
first when easing the hammer down after cocking the hammer. Is this
normal? It certainly doesn't affect function of the revolver but it's a
bit annoying nonetheless. Is this something that can be remedied with a
little polishing in the correct areas or possibly a spring replacement?
Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if it's a common
thing on these SA's? It's a brand new Ruger Flattop. Thanks.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Tis Normal.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Not 'normal' on any new model Blackhawk/SBH I have...

Once the trigger is released after firing or easing the hammer down with the thumb, the top flat of the hammer should be resting on the frame...

There is nowhere to 'push' the hammer forward to...

See if this helps:

Broken Ruger transfer bars

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now you have me wondering. I'll be checking into this later when I can handle the revolver.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Now you have me wondering. I'll be checking into this later when I can handle the revolver.
Please do so unloaded...

One time I noticed while gently letting the hammer down on a loaded cylinder with the trigger still pulled that when I let go of the trigger, the hammer slid forward a fraction...

I immediately thought I was pinching the transfer bar...

Well...In a way I was...I was 'pinching' the transfer bar between the firing pin and the hammer, not the frame and the hammer...The pin is longer than the housing, and if you let it forward gently with the trigger all the way back, the transfer bar allows the weight of the hammer to rest on the pin, and thus on the primer...

I try and let off the trigger before the hammer contacts the transfer bar now, so that I do not rest the weight of the hammer on the primer...Even if it is gently done, I do not 'like' to do it if I can help it...

Till the moment I saw this happen, I was suffering under the delusion that the 'New Model' firing pin was an 'inertia' type, and was shorter than it's housing and could not rest on the primer ever...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Not 'normal' on any new model Blackhawk/SBH I have...
This is the flattops. Not the older heavy spring BH/SBH..... My older ones (pre-lock) don't have the 'problem' either. Just to be sure I just went and picked up my 50th Ann. .357 flattop. Yep, if you let the hammer down slowly, you have to push just a bit to get it to set against the frame.... Normal. The transfer is out of the way as no finger is on the trigger.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
Salmoneye, What you described is exactly how a Ruger NM has to work ... otherwise it won't go bang. Because the transfer bar is directly coupled to the trigger, the gun won't fire unless the trigger is pulled all the way back. Pulling the trigger allows the transfer bar to raise and align with the firing pin. The firing pin is indeed kinetic because it travels much farther when struck than when the hammer is just resting on the transfer bar (trigger pulled back). Once you release the trigger, the transfer bar drops and the top step of the hammer rests on the frame.

So ... when the trigger is held back, the hammer will indeed push on the transfer bar and in turn, the transfer bar will push on the spring loaded firing pin. With the trigger pulled, this will give a little springy feel to the hammer but once the trigger is released, the transfer bar drops and the hammer will be solid against the frame. If the gun works any other way than this ... something is bad wrong.

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Interesting because I went and checked by .45 Colt flattop and it acts the same way as my 50th .357.... Hmmm... The rest other flattops are in my safe.... It's like the light hammer spring doesn't 'quite' have enough ommph to fully seat when 'slowing' setting the hammer down.... Just say'n :) . It's only about 1/64 or 1/128... just a tiny bit to 'fully' seat.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,076 Posts
rclark, Likely you are getting a little spring tension from the spring loaded base pin plunger. It pushes the transfer bar back. Try pulling the base pin out a half inch and test again.

·
Registered
649 Posts
when the trigger is held back, the hammer will indeed push on the transfer bar and in turn, the transfer bar will push on the spring loaded firing pin. With the trigger pulled, this will give a little springy feel to the hammer but once the trigger is released, the transfer bar drops and the hammer will be solid against the frame. If the gun works any other way than this ... something is bad wrong.
Um, not in my understanding or experience...The top flat of the hammer contacts the frame at the same time it is forcing the transfer bar forward...

If you are having hammer movement forward after releasing the trigger after lowering the hammer gently on an unloaded chamber, you are pinching the transfer bar between the frame and hammer, and you have a problem that needs to be addressed per the link I provided...

If you can move the hammer forward with a 'push' on the spur after releasing the trigger, it means you have the hammer binding on it's sides in the frame...This condition can be cured with shimming the hammer...

Neither condition is what I would consider 'normal'...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
. Try pulling the base pin out a half inch and test again
Yep, that is what it is. Just tested as I thought of that last night too. There is a tad bit of tension applied by the base pin that prevents the hammer from completely resting on the frame.... You don't have to cock the hammer either, just pull it back a 1/16 and allow to 'settle' back.... Not a problem.

Salmoneye, Iowegan has it right. The firing pin is spring loaded so there is a bit of springy feel until the trigger is released which drops the transfer bar away from the hammer and firing pin. The hammer at that point is sold against the frame.... This springy feel tripped me up when I was trying to relieve the pinch on my .357! I bought a new hammer over my mistake.....

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yep, that is what it is. Just tested as I thought of that last night too. There is a tad bit of tension applied by the base pin that prevents the hammer from completely resting on the frame.... You don't have to cock the hammer either, just pull it back a 1/16 and allow to 'settle' back....
I truly respect your knowledge and experience...I read your posts here and elsewhere with interest...

I realize that the base pin pushes on the transfer bar, but do you feel that what you describe could be possible if the hammer were not dragging on the frame?

·
Registered
649 Posts
The firing pin is spring loaded so there is a bit of springy feel until the trigger is released which drops the transfer bar away from the hammer and firing pin. The hammer at that point is sold against the frame.... This springy feel tripped me up when I was trying to relieve the pinch on my .357! I bought a new hammer over my mistake.....
I am well aware that the firing pin is spring loaded...

However, on my Blackhawk and SBH, when the hammer is lowered on an empty chamber with the trigger still all the way to the rear, the firing pin is extended forward, and the top flat of the hammer is seated firmly on the frame...

There is no 'springy' feeling whatsoever, and when the trigger is released, the transfer bar falls, firing pin retracts, and there is absolutely no movement of the hammer...

·
Registered
5,554 Posts
Well, mine work a bit differently. On my non-lock revolvers it works as you say. But on the one's with locks and the lighter spring it feels different (to me).

but do you feel that what you describe could be possible if the hammer were not dragging on the frame?
Not sure as the hammer doesn't feel like it is dragging on the frame... just doesn't fully seat when lowered slowly.... I really think it is just the light hammer spring fighting the base-pin spring. Simple as that.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Well, mine work a bit differently. On my non-lock revolvers it works as you say. But on the one's with locks and the lighter spring it feels different (to me).

Not sure as the hammer doesn't feel like it is dragging on the frame... just doesn't fully seat when lowered slowly.... I really think it is just the light hammer spring fighting the base-pin spring. Simple as that.
Thank you for your continued patience with me...

The point I am trying to make is that the pressure from the base pin spring should not be enough to do what is being described unless the hammer itself is binding a bit...

As has been described, pushing the hammer forward easily overcomes whatever is keeping it from seating firmly against the frame where it should rest...

If the hammer were not binding slightly, the hammer would return rearward once you stop pressing it with your thumb...The base pin spring would at that time reassert it's mastery over the transfer-bar, hammer, and hammer-spring...

I firmly believe that this can be 'fixed' by mic'ing the clearances, and installing the correct trigger and hammer shims...

It also may simply be my annoyingly anal retentive nature and inability to leave well-enough alone...

:D

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Probably way off base here but need to ask one quesition...I know the op said the revolver is new but is there any chance the OP might have done a "poor boy " trigger job (unhooking one leg of the spring)? I have a friend that does the "poor boy trigger jobs" on all his Rugers and his triggers/hammers and transfer bars all seem to be a bit different to me...I don't alter things with the budget fixes and thought I'd just ask about it..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Nope......haven't done a thing to it since getting it. Havent even shot it yet. Tomorrow..........

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It appears to be obsessive. :)
If the gun functions, I'd recommend STRONGLY just leaving it alone & shooting it.
What's the problem, really?

A case of "Doctor, it hurts when I do this."
"Then don't do that." :)

I have a 50th Ann Flattop .44 Mag here that I can push the hammer forward a shade on after I lower it completely.
Could not care less, it functions perfectly.
Denis

1 - 20 of 21 Posts