Ruger Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read almost every post on different forums concerning heavy v/s lighter main springs. I have tried 26#, 23#, 20 #, 18# and some "custom" springs that may be 14#. My thumb really likes the lighter ones. However, have not really made up my mind which is best for me. Are there actual tests done with timed/photo showing the faster hammer fall or is it calculator math. Also is there evidence that the lighter hammer fall does not affect the front sight movement as much as a heavy hammer spring when connecting. Thanks, Jerry

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
I would expect that it's a safe bet that you don't (nor 99.9% of people) shoot well enough that the spring differential effect on lock time will make an appreciable difference in your shooting. Equally, I'd be willing to bet that the lightened springs will make an appreciable difference in your perceived shootability.

I take to heart that top competitive shooters all use lightened springs, implying that the lock time disadvantage is overwhelmed by the action speed advantage.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Varminterror I do agree with what you say. I went to the range this A.M. with 2 of my SBHs. one with a 26# spring and the other with a 20# spring. Shot about 40 rounds each offhand. I did not find any difference as to my consistency in ability to hit point of aim and maintain a comparable group size. I do find the 20# spring easier on my thumb and associated tendons, but the 26#is not real bad. Not being a Cowboy Action shooter I do not need anything softer. Thanks, Jerry

1 - 3 of 3 Posts