Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made the mistake of letting my daughter shoot my Super Blackhawk. She's smitten with it. I was thinking of getting her a regular Blackhawk in 357. My thinking is that it has a smaller grip which would be more comfortable for her hand, and the 38 spl would be more comfortable for her wallet than the 44 spl. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
My 16 year old daughter loves my 357 Blackhawks. Those are the first guns she grabs when hitting the range. For some reason those single actions appeal to her.
You may want to check into the New Model Blackhawk Flat Top. It's based on the smaller frame and may fit her better. I've been contemplating the same for my daughter.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I would pay the few extra dollars now and buy a Blackhawk .357/9mm convertible. Shooting 9mm would be comfortable on both her wallet and hand, plus allow her to shoot .357 as a change of pace.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I'd take a look at one of the distributor exclusive Flat Top versions. The Flat Tops are built on a medium frame instead of the larger frame that the standard Blackhawk 357 uses. Quite a size difference between the two frame sizes. Our 357 Flat Top 357/9mm Convertible weighs 40 ounces, compared to 46 ounces or so for the standard Blackhawk 357. Trimmer gun, too.

·
Registered
951 Posts
I've all but given my stainless single six with white grips to my daughter she loves it and the look, now you have given me a good idea for her bday (I'm done xmas shopping) she would love the same look in what you are all talking about
Dang it you all are expensive to hang around !!

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
I've all but given my stainless single six with white grips to my daughter she loves it and the look, now you have given me a good idea for her bday (I'm done xmas shopping) she would love the same look in what you are all talking about
Dang it you all are expensive to hang around !!
Yeah, we are.

Flat Top 357/9mm

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Not everyone wants or needs a Convertible.

I would, however, recommend a mid-frame Blackhawk if you're interested in 357mag. The full sized Blackhawk is a monster of a 357mag, very much over-weight for what it is. The mid-frame is perfect for a 357mag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My daughter likes the weight of the Super Blackhawk. While heavy, it is very well balanced and the heft makes the recoil negligible. So I would like to stay with the full-sized Blackhawk which is close to the Super Blackhawk's weight but with a smaller grip. She will most likely be feeding it 38 spl rounds.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts