Ruger Forum banner

Blackhawk in 357

7K views 63 replies 28 participants last post by  Nojoy 
#1 ·
I made the mistake of letting my daughter shoot my Super Blackhawk. She's smitten with it. I was thinking of getting her a regular Blackhawk in 357. My thinking is that it has a smaller grip which would be more comfortable for her hand, and the 38 spl would be more comfortable for her wallet than the 44 spl. Any thoughts?

#2 ·
My 16 year old daughter loves my 357 Blackhawks. Those are the first guns she grabs when hitting the range. For some reason those single actions appeal to her.
You may want to check into the New Model Blackhawk Flat Top. It's based on the smaller frame and may fit her better. I've been contemplating the same for my daughter.

#4 ·
I'd take a look at one of the distributor exclusive Flat Top versions. The Flat Tops are built on a medium frame instead of the larger frame that the standard Blackhawk 357 uses. Quite a size difference between the two frame sizes. Our 357 Flat Top 357/9mm Convertible weighs 40 ounces, compared to 46 ounces or so for the standard Blackhawk 357. Trimmer gun, too.

#5 ·
I've all but given my stainless single six with white grips to my daughter she loves it and the look, now you have given me a good idea for her bday (I'm done xmas shopping) she would love the same look in what you are all talking about
Dang it you all are expensive to hang around !!

#56 ·
Not everyone wants or needs a Convertible.

I would, however, recommend a mid-frame Blackhawk if you're interested in 357mag. The full sized Blackhawk is a monster of a 357mag, very much over-weight for what it is.
I have a convertable BH, and I've played with the 9mm cylinder from time to time. It's not a bad idea, but it's not worth the money. Maybe someday I'll have it converted to one of the .357 X.41 magnum wildcats.

It is a tank of a .357 though. It would take a big mistake to blow one up. Mine wears a set of Brownell's birdshead grips, and can tame the meanest .357 ammo ever loaded.

I like my 3 screw better.

#17 ·
My daughter likes the weight of the Super Blackhawk. While heavy, it is very well balanced and the heft makes the recoil negligible. So I would like to stay with the full-sized Blackhawk which is close to the Super Blackhawk's weight but with a smaller grip. She will most likely be feeding it 38 spl rounds.

#26 ·
Seems like a year or so ago on gunbroker, I would occasionally see a dealer exclusive stainless 357 mag/ 9mm blackhawk for sale . These were on the regular frame size blackhawk , not those beautiful midsize flattops that are out now , and they were listed for a couple hundred or more than the exclusive flattops are now .
I love all the dealer exclusives that keep coming out . Still hoping for the stainless flattop in 41 magnum . Maybe someday ?

#28 ·
Very good looking Blackhawks. I started out with a .45colt Blackhawk in the 70's and have had one type or another since. I sure thing that flat top .357 looks nice. I didn't even know they had a smaller frame Blackhawk out. I have been doing the Ruger double action these last few years.

Has anyone seen any issues with the QC on these revolvers? The SP101 I just bought is rough and needs to be finished/polished to get the machine marks off the barrel and frame.

I might just check out the LGS tomorrow and see if they have a flat top.

Thanks
Phil

#29 ·
Has anyone seen any issues with the QC on these revolvers?
Mine was good out of the box except the front sight was way to high. Had to file that down. Trigger pull and all was typical Ruger. Needs a trigger job to fine tune.

Mine was a bit dirty here, but this is the blued FT in .357.

#31 · (Edited)
Trigger on mine was quite good, though, out of the box.
I can't say mine was 'horrible' or even unacceptable by Ruger standards, but certainly not what I am now used to even after dropping one leg of the trigger spring. I am spoiled I guess. My other flattops have had action jobs by Munden Enterprises, so they have a 2# break (by request), virtually undetectable creep, and 'smooth' actions on them. Difference is like light and day if ya know what I mean :) . I need to get this .357 in as it is a keeper! When I pick up a revolver, I do like the 'feel' to be the same.

Not everyone wants or needs a Convertible.
How true. My 9mm cylinder will sit most of the time. But this was the only way to get my 5 1/2" blued flattop in .357 for my set of flattops!

Weight : 44 3/4 oz (weighed on my scale)

#32 ·
I can't say mine was 'horrible' or even unacceptable by Ruger standards, but certainly not what I am now used to even after dropping one leg of the trigger spring. I am spoiled I guess. My other flattops have had action jobs by Munden Enterprises, so they have a 2# break (by request), virtually undetectable creep, and 'smooth' actions on them. Difference is like light and day if ya know what I mean :) . I need to get this .357 in as it is a keeper! When I pick up a revolver, I do like the 'feel' to be the same.

How true. My 9mm cylinder will sit most of the time. But this was the only way to get my 5 1/2" blued flattop in .357 for my set of flattops!

Weight : 44 3/4 oz.
That sounds more like the weight I should have quoted, but I don't have a scale.

Funny thing about the 9mm cylinder. I could have cared less about it when I got our Flat Top. I got it for the 5 1/2" barrel, too. It's my fav in a single action. Now that we have the 9mm cylinder, have to say, it is fun and cheap to shoot.

#33 ·
it is fun and cheap to shoot.
This is silly I know, but my flattop has only been used with lead bullets with the exception of the very first time I tested the 9mm cylinder for 'function'. Can't bring myself to shoot jacketed bullets out of the 'seasoned' bore :eek: . I will load up some 9mm lead bullets sometime (I do have dies now), but haven't seen any factory loads that are just lead. Of course I haven't looked to hard either! :) . Also I would have to adjust the sights to shoot the lighter bullets is another reason. Not hard of course, just an irritation :) . One bullet, one load, good to go!

#36 ·
I don't know why you couldn't shoot lead 9mm bullets unless they think you might get bore leading from the undersized bullet. I do all they time with .45 ACP as I use standard 250g RNFP in the .45 ACP case. And yes, I do get a bit of leading/buildup right at the shoulder where it seats, so there is always a cleaning session after shooting .45 ACP. Haven't tried 9mm lead bullets... yet...

NoJoy ... That is correct for the blued revolver. Suspect the SS would be the same.

#37 ·
I don't know why you couldn't shoot lead 9mm bullets unless they think you might get bore leading from the undersized bullet. I do all they time with .45 ACP as I use standard 250g RNFP in the .45 ACP case. And yes, I do get a bit of leading/buildup right at the shoulder where it seats, so there is always a cleaning session after shooting .45 ACP. Haven't tried 9mm lead bullets... yet...
Thanks rclark. I actually bought a convertible mostly for the cheap 9mm. Only have jacketed 9s, but nice to know your experience with 45acp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.