Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a Blackhawk in 45 LC, 4" barrel today. I've never seen one. It was really well balanced. Are these fairly common? I don't have a Blackhawk yet, but this may be my first one.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
a 45 is sweet in just about any barrel length they come.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My Blackhawk is 45 Colt with the 4 5/8" barrel. It is well-worn and well broken in, and I can't say enough good things about it.

There is that cost of ammo thing, though...

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
My Blackhawk is 45 Colt with the 4 5/8" barrel. It is well-worn and well broken in, and I can't say enough good things about it.

There is that cost of ammo thing, though...
Get friendly with a tire store owner or two, cast your own bullets and roll your own. It's almost becoming necessary if you plan to shoot a lot with the price of ammo.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
That Blackhawk is my favorite, jump on it if the price is right. Great shooters, and an outstanding outdoors carry gun. They are common, but you don't see many on the used market.

·
Banned
186 Posts
I just wanted to get clairification on the terminologly on the .45 Colt rd. Its my understanding that it's incorrectly refered to as .45 "Long" Colt as there was never a .45 "Short" Colt. Is that correct or is my thinker out of wack again? I read/hear so much info. from different sources, that its difficult to remember whats shit & whats Shineola. If you know wort I meen!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
It was called the "long Colt" to prevent confusion with a shorter cartridge. I couldn't remember which one so I looked it up----

Original name
The designation ".45 Long Colt" originated amongst military personnel to prevent confusion with the smaller .45 Schofield. It has become a widely used alternative name for the cartridge, and adopted by Colt for use in designating the chambering in it's own Single Action Army revolvers.

Hacked from Wikipedia :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.45_Colt

However Paco Kelly claims to have a full box of "45 Short Colt" made in 1883.....(230 grain bullet/hollow base/28 grains B.P.) So who knows?

More info from Jim Taylor:
http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Call it what you want, it's still my favorite cartridge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts