Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm looking at getting into Cowboy shooting and will probably stick with the Rugers. I've only shot DA revolvers, so the SAA will be new to me. The revolvers I've shot all have a front and rear sight, so was looking at the Blackhawk, but the Vaquero seems to be more popular and I'm sure I can get used to it.

Just wondering if there's an advantage of one over the other? I'm getting a .357 so I can shoot the .38 Special light loads.

Thanks,
Dan'o :}

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
It's one of those things you and only you can decide on.... if you want to hunt with your sixgun, you will need to be able to use your rear sight. But if you are just getting it for SASS or CAS then I think you know the answer as the more period correct you are, the better your going to feel shooting with all the other hombres.

Just my .02 cents on it.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No hunting, just SASS. I imagine I can figure out how to aim with a gun with no rear sight, so just have to figure out how to aim with it. Guess the New Vaquero is da one!
Thanks,
Dan'o :}

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,472 Posts
HIPCHIP, The Vaquero does have a rear sight ... it's just built into the top strap and is not adjustable. Take a look at a Beretta Stampede too. These are great guns and I hate to say this but they are much better made than a Ruger. I own a couple Vaqueros ... nice but precision, accuracy, looks, and CAS features all favor my Beretta.

You get half-cock loading, 4-click hammer, authentic Colt 3-screw styling, color case hardened frame, steel grip frame, plus a transfer bar so you can safely carry six cartridges. My Beretta came with cheap plastic grips so I replaced them with Hogue Colt Cowboy wood grips. I've had this gun for a couple of years (45 Colt, 7.5" barrel) and really shoot it well.

·
16,472 Posts
SAJohn, As a carry over from my days as a gunsmith, I learned to hate Taurus guns. Since then, Taurus has really come up in the world. I must admit ... I've not had an opportunity to handle or shoot a Gaucho but from the reports I've seen, they are decent guns. I did hear the Gaucho was being discontinued but don't have a confirmation.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll take a look at what's out there, and it's nice to know there are other guns out there. I just know I need to not spend a ton of money and I want something reliable, so Ruger has always been tops in those categories.

·
Banned
723 Posts
For SASS you can't go wrong, IMHO, with the Ruger New Vaquero.

I have a pair in .357 Magnum and love them. Someday I'll gat a pair in 45 Colt too. :)

Biker

·
Registered
536 Posts
I hate to disagree with Iowegan, because I honestly believe he is smarter than me in the way of the gun (and I'm not saying that facetiously or to flatter him), but.... I just have to believe I'd prefer the New Vaquero over the Taurus for SASS. But I do believe I would probably remove he reverse-indexing pawl of the NV. That is a pretty simple matter, and then you have a free-spin.

But if I had the money, I'd really go USFA and never look back, I do believe.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have shot SASS for a few years. I started with .45 NMBHs. I now use .357 NMBHs. I prefer to sight in with a screw driver and not a file. The sights are much better. I can actually see them. What an amazing concept.

·
16,472 Posts
dogboy, No disagreement there ... I didn't recommend a Taurus just commented on them. +1 on the USFA revolvers ... best of the best.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I see no need for adj sight unless you target shoot or long range hunting .
Only have 1 SA with adj sights . My hunting gun in SA is the 7 1/2 ,44-40

·
Registered
12 Posts
For SASS I use Vaquero's. The sights work just fine, and don't slice your hand open like a blawkhawk's will unless you take a file to them.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Having never shot SASS I may be way off but I think many of the cowboy action type shooting sports put you in a seperate catagory if you are using "modern" sights like a blackhawk.

I LOVE my NM Vaquero 45 (well it's my wife's actually)

·
Registered
23 Posts
I shoot one of each in .38 for SASS. I put my self in the 49er age bracket, which allows me to shoot any SASS-legal gun.

The Vaquero has a smoother, crisper trigger, and is a delight to shoot.

The Blackhawk is a bit heavier, but the sights are easier to find, and I seem to shoot a bit more accurately with it.

Now I hear they are talking about doing away with the "Modern" / "Traditional" categories all to gether and going with Open classes assigned by age.

WM

·
Registered
421 Posts
The one particular advantage the Blackhawk has is the adjustable sights. I believe SASS has a different category for adjustable sights.

·
Registered
296 Posts
A Little Late...or Expensive

It would be easier to transition from DA revolvers to Bisleys. Unfortunately, any Bisley Vaquero will be a used gun...and hard to find. One poster has been looking for 5.5 inch stainless 357 Bisley Vaqueros for awhile...and no luck! The New Vaqueros is not offered as a Bisley.

I would stick to Ruger Original Size Vaqueros and preferably 357 for SASS. While a great fan of 44s for utility/everyday usage, I purchased a pair of the afore- mentioned stainless 357 Bisleys and a couple of blue/cc guns that I installed Dragoon grip frames on, as well as the 44s. (And no, I don't want to sell any of them, Thank You.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
There is an advantage to Blackhawks. It's not so much that the sights are adjustable, but that they are larger. That makes them easier to see, and that makes them faster. There are also two disadvantages that sort of cancel out the advantage. The Blackhawk rear sight makes it difficult to perform a "transfer draw" (specialty draw used to place a weak hand side revolver in the strong hand without using a crossdraw). Also, the remarkably tall front sight has a habit of snagging on the way back into the holster.

Most people think that it's a break even, or even favors the fixed sight guns. I've worked around the disadvantages, though, and shoot Blackhawks.

~~~Mat, AKA Jerkline Jesse, SASS 64073
2008 SASS Ohio State Champion

1 - 20 of 20 Posts