Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

As a test I blacked out the white dots or lines of the rear sights on my guns, including my SR1911 and GP100 as well as my M&P Shield, with non reflective black masking tape. Right away I noticed that I can hit the target much better since my concentration is fixed on the front sights white dot and my focus is better but more relaxed. So, I decided that I want to black out the rear sights on all my guns with something other than black masking tape but I don't want it to be permanent.

Is there something that I can use to blackout the rear sights that will be more durable than black masking tape but not be permanent ?

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Black magic marker. Quick wipe with alcohol or acetone will take it right off.
I was thinking about black magic marker but depending on the ink it may not totally hide the white dots or it may be reflective. I found some adhesive light absorbing material and I may give that a shot.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I'll have to give this a try. The way I shoot hand guns, it cant hurt.

·
Registered
164 Posts
There used to be a spray product - Sight Black (I think) - that was used by bullseye shooters. It probably won't hold up to holster use, but it is not permanent, either. I don't even know if they still sell it.

In that vein, there's always candle soot. :)

·
Registered
549 Posts
Birchwood Casey makes a product called site black. It was sold and marketed towards muzzleloaders but works well on modern guns as well. It leaves a soft, non reflecting surface that is easily removed with a toothbrush or rag.........robin

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update... one of my other hobbies is amateur astronomy and I forgot that I had a roll of adhesive light absorbing material that I used to line the inside of my telescope. This material prevents stray light from reflecting inside the optical tube and reducing contrast.

I cut out two small pieces stuck it over the white dots and it worked out perfect. I don't know how permanent it will be. However, once I know that I am shooting better with the rear dots blacked out then I'll make a permanent fix.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts