Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my local FFL has a 4" Blued Security Six for sale at what seems to be a reasonable price. It doesn't look like it has a lot of use but it does look like there is some dirt in the mechanism and needs a good cleaning.

I have never bought a used revolver so I checked a few things that I could think of; barrel release, hammer play, single action hammer lockup, barrel looseness, forcing cone damage, lead buildup, etc. Is there anything in particular I need to watch out for on the Security Sixes? So far I am leaning towards picking this one up but figured I'd give it one more look over and wanted to get some more informed opinions.

For those that know NJ, I am waiting on pistol permits. For those that aren't familiar with NJ, what that means is if I buy it now, I can't pick it up until the permits come through. The FFL will have to hold it for me until then. Maybe 3 - 5 more weeks :(

Any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks
-Jim

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
WOW you have to have a Permit to buy a pistol in NJ ? Bummer. Up here in Maine we go to buy,they call State PD, do background check about 15/20 minute you pay and leave :)
As for the Six I LOVE my 6"S/S Security Six it is a great gun, You seem to have covered all bases, did you use a bore lite to check for pitting in the barrel? That is all I can think of other then if the LGS has a range you can shoot it in to test :) ,I cannt wait to see what the pros here say to look for as I will be checking some out up here :)
If I find a good deal on a 4" or shorter I will snag it! May I ask how much he wants ? Good luck with your hopefully new gun

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
The FFL is asking $295 for it, I think they've had it a while. I suspect it's because you need separate pistol permits in NJ and most don't want to "waste" one on an old non-Colt or S&W revolver.

Yeah, in NJ you need a firearms ID to purchase long arms and that is good forever but you need a separate pistol purchase permit to get each pistol and they do a background check whenever you get a pistol permit. Then when you go to buy you still need to do a NICs check though NJ NICs which is the State Police who use their own NJ centric NICs system as well as the federal NIC system. It's a lot of hoops to go through and can be expensive at $20 for the background check and $2 per permit plus $15 for the NIC check at purchase. Oh yeah, they are only good for 90 days (not 3months, 90 days) and you can only purchase one pistol every 30 days (not one month, 30 days). That's the NJ permitting process. I try not to rant about these things ;)

I didn't use a bore light, just looked through it using the ceiling light but it looked clean enough that a little lead remover and a bore brush would do the trick. This FFL doesn't have a range, from what I understand he's trying to get permits and a facility built locally but not yet.

Thanks for that link Terry, that's abig help!
-Jim

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have owned a 4 inch Stainless Steel Security Six 357 Magnum since 1982. I purchased it NIB for $225.00. I added pachmayr grips and had the trigger spring changed to lessen the trigger pull. The only maintenance required is cleaning. If you don't clean it the cylinder will get gunked up and not open freely nor spin freely. Discoloration will occur on the cylinder due to blowback from discharge . Since my gun is stainless, I remove the residue on the cylinder with Meguiar's Mag wheel polish. To excuse the pun my gun is bullet proof. It looks and shoots like new. So if the gun you are looking at looks solid then I would shoot 25 or more rounds with it. If your still happy with the gun buy it.

·
Registered
524 Posts
If I don't have a bore light, I use a business card at the forcing come end, angle the gun to pick up the best light reflection off the biz card, and look down the barrel. Has worked well for me. Haven't gotten a bad one yet.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I spent the first 26 years of my life in NJ, I feel your pain........

Which is why, when I was younger, I just got really into shooting rifles because I didn't need to jump through hoops for them, just use my FOID card. I had a lot of fun though.

I would strongly consider, since it's a major PITA getting the pistol permit, getting a new GP100 unless you're absolutely dead set on a Security Six.

The GP100 will make more sense as a shooter, has Ruger CS support and will last you forever, rather than a used Six with an unknown history. That GP will be the last .357 you'll ever need..........well, I thought that in 2008 when I bought my first one, now I have over 20 of them......

If you go for the Six, there was good advice given above, check it out thoroughly to make sure it's not "tired" or damaged.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
The FFL is asking $295 for it, I think they've had it a while. I suspect it's because you need separate pistol permits in NJ and most don't want to "waste" one on an old non-Colt or S&W revolver.

Yeah, in NJ you need a firearms ID to purchase long arms and that is good forever but you need a separate pistol purchase permit to get each pistol and they do a background check whenever you get a pistol permit. Then when you go to buy you still need to do a NICs check though NJ NICs which is the State Police who use their own NJ centric NICs system as well as the federal NIC system. It's a lot of hoops to go through and can be expensive at $20 for the background check and $2 per permit plus $15 for the NIC check at purchase. Oh yeah, they are only good for 90 days (not 3months, 90 days) and you can only purchase one pistol every 30 days (not one month, 30 days). That's the NJ permitting process. I try not to rant about these things ;)

I didn't use a bore light, just looked through it using the ceiling light but it looked clean enough that a little lead remover and a bore brush would do the trick. This FFL doesn't have a range, from what I understand he's trying to get permits and a facility built locally but not yet.

Thanks for that link Terry, that's abig help!
-Jim
295$ sounds like a good price,, Since he had it awhile I would offer 250$ doesn't hurt to try lol. Man you permit system sucks! Ct. is almost as bad!My son in Ct . told me they have to get a permit to buy ammo as well :eek: Pays to live up north lol.... Pic of the gun when you get it are a MUST :)

·
Registered
420 Posts
I was born in New York City.
On July 4th 1976 I had my own independence day when I left the northwest and never looked back. I'm retired now and live in North Carolina. There are two ways to buy a Handgun legally in this state. One is to buy individual permits at $5 each (you can buy up to 5). The second is to get a CCW. The advantage with the CCW is it take a few minutes to get clearance. There is no limit on the number of handguns. Just this year you can hunt with a sound suppressor. The only problem is the $200 tax and dealing with the Feds.
I really feel your pain. I wonder if all those regulations help or hinder people's safety.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am almost decided about getting a GP100 Match Champion too. I'm not sure if the security six would be would be too similar or if I should get the GP and something else but definitely seems like a good deal. I mean if I am going to have to make room for another caliber of ammo, might as well have multiple weapons to use it right ;)

Maybe I'll stop by tonight and check it out again...
Thanks for all the help with this.
-Jim

·
Registered
546 Posts
The Security Six is a great revolver-I have a 4" stainless steel one, but I also have, and tremendously enjoy my blued 4" GP100.

Given your situation, while the Security Six is likely in fine shape (they're pretty bulletproof, usually), I think you might be a tad better off with an adjustable sight GP100 Match Champion. You'll have a somewhat out-of-the-box tuned gun, a great set of OEM grips, and the lighter half-lug barrel which will give you an edge in dynamic movement (compared to the full-lug GP100 barrel). It'll be a new gun, and one that's fully supported by Ruger.

The good news is, given your alternatives, there really isn't a bad choice to be made per se.

Best, Jon

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Most Security-Six series guns that I've examined have loose crane fits to the frame and the ejector rod head. If you press out on the cylinder, a crack opens between the frame and the crane. Some fore and aft motion of the crane is also possible.

I think this is why Manurhin added a crane lock to their version of these guns and why Ruger developed his crane lock for the GP and the later Ruger DA's.

This gun is also blued. It'll rust much easier than a stainless one.

I'd buy a new SP-101 or GP-100 depending on your size needs. In stainless!

That said, if this gun checks out okay, it's a good price, and you should maintain your gun well, anyway.

Do check the barrel throat VERY carefully. If someone has been firing a lot of scorching 125 grain and lighter bullet ammo, that's where severe erosion and barrel cracks are seen.

Cock the gun slowly and be sure that every chamber carries up and locks before the hammer reaches full cock. (Cylinder timing.) Then try that in DA cycling. See if the sights, front and rear, are snug.

Look at the serial number. If it begins with a 150 prefix, pass on the gun. Serials beginning with 151 and later have a different shape to the backstrap and take different grips. Earlier guns tended to slip down in the hand before Ruger copied the S&W shape at the top of the backstrap.

Don't believe the BS about Ruger guns being "tanks." They do hold up better than most, but enough shooting with hot ammo will loosen anything and erode bores.

If you're on a tight budget, this gun may be a good buy. If you can afford new, do as I said, and choose stainless construction. It 's worth it in the long run.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, put a down payment on the Match Champion tonight. My FFL should have it in a few days but I won't have pistol permits for a few weeks yet so I have some time to think about what is next. I'll have some time to play with the Match Champion until the one-handgun-every-30-days window is up so we'll see what I am thinking then.

I absolutely understand why that gun is still there though, it's almost as if the gun laws here force you to get the best you can afford because of the hurdles you need to jump though to get them. It's only if you have a permit left after you get what you want and you just don't want to let it expire that you look for little bargain pieces like this one.

At least that is my theory on it.

Meanwhile, here's hoping for quicker permits so I can pick up my Match Champion soon :)

Thanks for all the help
-Jim

·
Registered
490 Posts
New Jersey is tough ok. Vermont is nearby and you do not even need a permit to carry there, I believe. Must have a lot of crime in Vermont. Oh, not that is not right is it. The crime is where the citizens are basically un-armed.
Let me see. Christy is Gov of NJ. Right?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts