Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post but have been reading on here for awhile and this site actually helped me with my first pistol purchase a little over a year ago. Well my question is, my girlfriend recently purchased the bodyguard .380. I field stripped it last night and cleaned it up for her. After putting it back together it was cocked and ready to go. Of course after checking, checking, and checking once again to make sure the chamber was cleared and mag was empty, I pulled the trigger to make sure everything was smooth and working. after pulling the trigger, it reset and was ready to fire again. Is this a problem? Is there a way to decock the gun or is it always cocked and ready to go even after dry firing? thanks in advance for replies.

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Wouldn't that question best be served on the S&W forum?

·
Registered
96 Posts
My wife had a Bodyguard .380, it is a DAO (Double Action Only). So it is basically always ready to fire. Every trigger pull will cock the hammer back, and strike the firing pin, and reset. It basically functions like a revolver with a shrouded hammer, or spurless hammer. So just practice safety with it at all times, because with the safety off, the gun is always ready to go bang.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you gpetrucci for the answer. And spike I figured it'd be a place to ask this question considering this section is for non ruger firearms and not everyone on this forum is ruger only. I didn't see the point in signing up for a forum that i dont read on, just to ask that question. Like I stated I read this forum all the time.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Slim, glad you got your question answered and you're right. You picked the right section to post in and this being one of the largest gun forums on the net, you're bound to find an answer for just about any firearm related question.

Other forums may or may not get you a good answer. I've found that in most of the other smaller forums I might go weeks or months or more without an answer. I'm not familiar with the S&W forum, but I expect that one would be active.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Like they've stated above. It's DOA, Double Action Only. You can pull the trigger over and over without having to cock it. I've dry fired a few myself. Don't worry it's completely normal.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ikar, at first there was quite a few jams but after a thorough cleaning and lube the problems have mostly gone away. It seems to be a great little gun, would I carry it for Ccw right now, no but thats only because of the previous jams and I would want to make sure it's flawless before I would carry it. Overall it has really grown on me and I wouldn't mind owning one of my own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts