Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I didn't think the RAR was ever released in that caliber. I don't think it was, but maybe I'm wrong. Would be great to have one though.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Ive been thinking this forever. Hard hitting cheap abundant ammo. Almost any living thing inside 300 yds is gona go down. For now my Yugo M70 is gona have to do.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I sent the CEO a message a while back begging him to build a RAR Ranch model in 7.62x39. Not gonna hold my breath, but figured it couldn't hurt. I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
The CZ 527 Carbine bolt gun in 7.62x39 has been a very good seller for CZ. It's made to handle steel cased ammo and is very accurate with even bulk ammo. One of our favorite guns.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No, they have never chambered the RAR in 7.62

They should make them so they can handle the cheap steel stuff.

And I will eventually buy the CZ 527 if Ruger does not produce one.

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have had both the M-77 and the 527 in 7.62x39. After a very brief love affair with both of them I soon sold them. I just am underwelmed by the X39 in a bolt gun. I love the cheap ammo factor, but I reload so I can get somewhat close by shopping around for components. I really enjoy reloading, so I don't count my time, but that is a realistic consideration. I shoot in the open desert so the trajectory is not so hot. When I am shooting at closer ranges, I prefer my Marlin 336's.

With all that said, if Ruger offered an RAR in X39 I would probably be tempted again. I would just hope they would offer it with iron sights.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CZ 527

The CZ 527 Carbine bolt gun in 7.62x39 has been a very good seller for CZ. It's made to handle steel cased ammo and is very accurate with even bulk ammo. One of our favorite guns.
My 527 carbine is a great gun even with cheap ammo, even better with handloads and .311 bullets. The 7.62X39 has a lot more potential than the 30-30 which it is often compared to when it's shot in a quality rifle.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I bought the CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and I've been very happy with it. I get around 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the 154 grain soft point Tula / Herters steel cased ammo. Never had any light primer strikes either. It also has a set trigger that is super light and crisp. I only have a small supply of brass to work with and I haven't done a whole lot of testing, but the hornady ZMAX bullets and IMR 4227 powder work pretty good. Another option is the Savage Hog Hunter, but you'll have to pay Savage extra to make a custom one in 7.62x39 for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSu7EuQr6o4

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I have a M77 Mkii skeleton stocked rifle in the 30 Russian. It's been a great rifle. It is NOT a target rifle, but it will hold 1.25" at 100 with good factory ammo. I am sure good handloads would be even better.

I have never shot the surplus steel ammo out of it, nor will I, zombie apocalypse not withstanding. The CZ is a great choice if you want to shoot the steel cased stuff. The RAR in this caliber, optimized for the steel cased ammo, would probably sell pretty well!

·
Registered
629 Posts
My 527 carbine is a great gun even with cheap ammo, even better with handloads and .311 bullets. The 7.62X39 has a lot more potential than the 30-30 which it is often compared to when it's shot in a quality rifle.
I totally agree, My CZ 527 carbine in 7.62x39 is very accurate even with cheap steel ammo. One of, if not my favorite rifle. One inch groups with five dollar a box ammo, what's not to like.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I would love to have a bolt 7.62x39 ruger rar or m77 . But I will not buy a rifle that does not come with irons ! I personally would love to have a gsr in this caliber but like everyone has mentioned it should be optimized for steel cased ammo . Hey Ruger are you listening !

·
Registered
361 Posts
..one of my favorite rounds.....

77MKII 22" with replacement wood stock...

77MKII 20" Lite Rifle

77MKII 22" Boat Paddle

Lite Rifle....first three shots.

Wood stock...

Boat Paddle 22"...

If the Compact had been stainless I would have bought one of them also and put it in a full size composite stock...

Bob

1 - 19 of 19 Posts