Ruger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just brought home my new PC9. The bolt action works fine when no magazine is inserted. But when the Ruger magazine is inserted the bolt won't close (it'll slide forward slightly but then stops when it gets to the magazine). The bolt lock is not on, and I have the Ruger magazine well inserted. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
It is perfectly normal for the bolt not to close on an empty magazine. The magazine follower keeps the bolt from closing. To close the bolt remove, or at least lower, the empty magazine and the bolt will close. Of course, the bolt will close properly on a loaded magazine and will strip the top round.

The manual bolt lock allows the bolt to stay open with no magazine but it does not override an empty magazine.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much! Just put a few rounds in the magazine, and it chambered like a charm. Thanks again!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Thanks so much! Just put a few rounds in the magazine, and it chambered like a charm. Thanks again!
Nysundevil, I don't know if you are a new gun owner in the wake of COVID19 scare. If so, welcome to the club. You *must* follow safety rules (read through your owners' manual twice at least). "Last round hold open" on empty mag is a common feature in most modern guns (but there are exceptions like AK rifles, Ruger 10/22).

Also, when you said you "put few rounds in the mag and chambered like a charm"..are you inside your house and did you actually use live ammo to function check? That is negligent discharged waiting to happen and you don't want to end up in jail or die of self inflicted GSW. Buy some snap caps or dummy rounds to function check. Once things are back to normal, take a safety class from NRA certified instructor.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
630 Posts
I would just add to please use this forum to ask as many questions as needed. There are no second chances with firearms accidents. Most of the folks here are very nice, have owned guns most of their lives, and are happy to help. Please be sure to read your manual, use Youtube, and ask away.

Be safe, go slow, and be safe again!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Just brought mine home today,( new 19102) Took it out of the carton, jacked the bolt back and it won't close. I've done everything, it ain't working. Called Ruger, they said they'll call me tomorrow. I'm not prepared to tear into it unless Ruger says so. Looks to be a good amount of oil in the chamber/bolt area. Any ideas?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for all the ideas and help!:ROFLMAO: Anyway, I called Ruger today and was told to return it. Took it back to my FFL and the Gunsmith looked it over and discovered the extractor is missing!:mad:

·
Registered
28 Posts
So I get it back today and nothing's changed. Ruger's receipt says they replaced extractor,extractor spring and pin. "Gunsmith" at FFL guessed it was the extractor, I'd have thought Ruger's tech would've checked it over completely;guess not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts