Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys I now have the urge for a nice Bolt Action Rifle in 7.62x39 or .223. I kinda like the Mini Mauser Zastava M85 or the CZ Bolt rifle but the CZ might be out of my budget of $400-$550.00 Max. I have seen advertising of the Savage Scout Rifle and the Mossberg MVP. I really don't care for the Scout Rifle jazz I just as soon keep the scope over the receiver. Maybe it can be done with the Savage?? Also like the Howa as well not sure if I want a RAR or not have seen quite a bit here on magazine feeding problems. Anyway comments & or suggestions appreciated thanks in advance!!!:D;)

·
Banned
1,940 Posts
I've heard bad reviews about the Zastava M85, but the other choices seem good. I went with the CZ 527 in 7.62x39, but if you want something in that caliber that costs less consider an SKS. The one I have was basically brand new and only cost $300 and it's been great.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have two bolt action CZ 527's one in 7.62x39 carbine and another in .223, both are absolutely great shooters. My favorite is the 7.62x39, it's cheap and fun to shoot , can take deer size game, and shoots around one inch groups with inexpensive Russian ammo. I paid less than $500 for each one.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I concur with the CZ 527 or SKS opinions, so 7.62x39 gets my vote.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I love my CZ 527 in 7.62x39.
PPU RNSP ammo is excellent in it, as is (are?) some of my hand loads for it.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
I'd be really surprised if the Savage Scout was not drilled at the receiver for mounting a scope over the action. It would not any sense for them to not drill it, they probably use the same actions to build the Scout as their other models.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
Didn't Ruger make the 77 in that caliber?

·
Registered
213 Posts
I was thinking of a 7.62x39 bolt rifle to use as a range gun and perhaps one day as a hunting rifle for the kids. The problem with it is finding good ammo for that purpose. Most of the cheap russian ammo is not very accurate.

·
Registered
752 Posts
It maybe a tad out of the price range you mentioned, but I've been very pleased with my 5.5 GSR. I mounted the scope conventionally with the supplied rings.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I was thinking of a 7.62x39 bolt rifle to use as a range gun and perhaps one day as a hunting rifle for the kids. The problem with it is finding good ammo for that purpose. Most of the cheap russian ammo is not very accurate.
That might be true when they're fired out of an SKS or AK, but my own experience with a CZ527M as well as other anecdotes on the Internet indicate that these little carbines are quite accurate ESPECIALLY with the surplus ComBloc ammo.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Even if the cheap Russian ammo was more accurate, I would not recommend it for hunting. Most is FMJ, even their HP ammo is no better than FMJ.
Try some Hornady loaded with the SST bullet, or JSP ammo from PPU, R-P or W-W.
Barnes makes some bullets for the 7.62x39 suitable for hunting, not sure if they sell them factory loaded or not.
I load the Hornady SST bullets in PPU brass for deer hunting, here are some ( along with Hornady FMJ) that I loaded.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Didn't Ruger make the 77 in that caliber?
Yes. 20" and 22" skeleton M77Mkiis, and the Hawkeye compact.
I have a 22" blued skeleton. It shoots to about 1 1/4" at 100 yards with good ammo.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts