Ruger Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I recently purchased a new 10/22 takedown backpacker, and upon the first test firings, the bolt likes to get stuck open while cycling. When I try to release it , the lever is really stubborn and requires alot of fidgeting to get it to release. Normally I'd just send it back to ruger, but my states silly firearm laws require all firearm shipments be made through a FFL dealer. This option, or a gunsmith will cost me unwanted money spent, so I figured I'd take a crack here as I know 10/22's are relatively easy to work on yourself. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Always start with the basics. Did you thoroughly clean and degrease the gun when you got it and lube it properly?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Always start with the basics. Did you thoroughly clean and degrease the gun when you got it and lube it properly?
Not as thoroughly as I should have, but I just spray lubed it and made sure the Barrell was clear with a snake. But I have since and It still sticks.
Ive looked up the schematics in the manual and am in the process of disassembling to check the stop pin and bolt

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Seems like using the auto bolt release trick will solve my problem. I watched a helpful video, then disassembled everything and upon inspection the "spur/notch" on my bolt release plate has a seemingly worse than average spur that is catching the bolt then hooking in and preventing you from getting it unhooked even while working the bolt at the same time. So Im going to order a aftermarket release plate and replace the OEM. I saw you can also DIY it with a small dremel, but im a bit short on time these days and its a very inexpensive part. Thanks all.

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
I might have to get one of those for my 10/22 ... I've been fiddeling around with that factory bolt release for way too long ...
Thanks for posting link ... I'm going over there and see what other "Goodies" they got that I can't live without !!!
Gary

·
Registered
594 Posts
I might have to get one of those for my 10/22 ... I've been fiddeling around with that factory bolt release for way too long ...
Thanks for posting link ... I'm going over there and see what other "Goodies" they got that I can't live without !!!
Gary
You just made me go look for goodies myself and dang if I didn't buy a couple of things.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts