Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a very early Ruger M77 30-06 that I purchased in 1984 and recently when I try to place a round in the gun the bolt will not completely close. I am beginning to wonder if the lugs on the bolt where turned and messed something up internally with the bolt. The bolt does close when I do not place a round in the gun.

I have also tried snap caps to see if it was my ammo but I get the same result.

Has anyone had this happen? Should I just go ahead and call customer service or is there something I can do that is fairly easy to do? Thanks,

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is a WAG with out seeing the rifle but I would take the time to clean the chamber and lug area real good to make sure there is not crud built up causing your issue.

If the bolt had been altered it would close because metal was removed making it easy to close.

Have you ever shot this one?

The other thing is it could be the ammo being over sized.

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Registered
805 Posts
Since it is happening with both ammo and snap caps I would not think it is an ammo issue. I would suggest checking the chamber with a strong light.. Could be old oil or grease, rust, maybe a piece of brass, part of a cleaning patch or even a mud wasp if you happen to live where this might happen. Give it a real good look before all else.

·
Premium Member
3,335 Posts
Twodog and Roadie +1. Has to be dirt, powder, burnt oil or something else that has built up. It could even be something in the bolt channels/grooves that has taken residence there that will not allow the bolt to rotate. You will not get what it is worth to you if you sell it. It does not sound like a really big fix to me.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I recently repaired a Remington BDL Remington 17 center fire, that a guy was shooting reloaded ammo thru. (note he isn't the best reloader), after closely examining the arm. After plugging the bore and pouring a bore cleaner in it and letting it sit over night, the next morning I saw a shiny gold colored ring about 1/16 of an inch lodged in the chamber. Needless to say I had to go thru the muzzle end of that rifle, and low and behold out came a little piece of brass, exactly the same size as the fired casing that he managed to extract and save.

You might try that method first of all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
What they said and check the bolt face and extractor areas for foreign material or burrs. I have had this with rifles that were non rugers that had the action screws reversed, long scope base screws, etc. A strong light and careful examination is in order until the snap cap or resized case will close.

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
Might need to coat a round or snap cap with something like a sharpie or soot etc to get an idea if something is making contact when/where it should not.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Has it ever worked? Are you putting the cartridge into the magazine or just laying it on the follower or placing it into the chamber?

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This gun has not had a lot fired through it. It's pretty much a "Safe Queen" maybe 4 boxes of shells total. When I first noticed this problem I loaded the magazine with 3 rounds and then tried closing the bolt to bring in the first round and noticed it wouldn't close. Recently I purchased the AZoom Snap Caps and laying it in the receiver to place it into the chamber and again the bolt would not close.

I can close the bolt completely with no ammunition or snap caps. I will go take the bolt out again and look from the bolt end with a strong flashlight to see if I see anything "foreign" in the chamber area.

I'll let you all know if I see anything in the chamber area. Thanks for replying!

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cleaned the gun again and went to YouTube and watched a few videos. I believe I am onto something the Ejector was gummed up and not too springy. After a couple shots of Break Free and working it a taper punch it's back into the proper position where it should be. I tried cycling it with the snap caps and it seems to be working.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Fantastic good to hear.

Its not uncommon to have a rifle packed away for a while and have the lube you put on it get a bit gummy or hard. Its just how the rifle tell you it missed you. lol

Best regards,

Roadie

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Glad you got it figured out - as soon as I read this post, I instantly suspected that you were dropping rounds straight into the chamber. The Ruger M77 is a controlled round push feed, meaning it's a controlled round feed with a beveled extractor. So it CAN close on rounds dropped directly into the chamber, but it's often not very happy about it. If the extractor doesn't move freely, then it goes back to a controlled round feed function only, and you get the result that you've experienced.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts