Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new out of the box 7mm08 Hawkeye compact. I purchased two boxes of remington 140 core lokt. None of the cartriges will chamber into the gun. The bolt will not go all the way forward so I cannot close it? Any help would be great.

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Check to make sure there's nothing blocking the cartridge from going all the way in and then call Ruger.

·
Banned
367 Posts
Did you FEED the cartridges through the magazine, or drop them into the chamber? If you dropped them into the chamber, the extractor may not have seated the round, and won't close.

·
Registered
7,866 Posts
If you inserted the cartridge directly into the chamber, that would explain everything. See, with CRF bolt actions it must feed the cartridge out of the magazine, the round cannot be bolted in otherwise.

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,360 Posts
If you are inserting the cartridge in the magazine and the bolt still won't close, check that the headstamp on the cartridge matches the caliber on your barrel. If that matches, then take it to a gunsmith to check the head space or return it to the manufacturer.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did you FEED the cartridges through the magazine, or drop them into the chamber? If you dropped them into the chamber, the extractor may not have seated the round, and won't close.
My .257 hawkeye is a control feed not a push feed, as I suspect yours is.Load the magazine and try again. Clean a new gun. there may be something in the bolt lug recesses. If all else fails call Ruger.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Did you follow the the instructions in manual that came with the rifle?
If so and you are still having problems.

Check your ammunition head stamp against the cartouche on the barrel, take it to a smith and have the head space checked, and if that still doesn't get it corrected call Ruger explain the problem and tell them you want a hat!

·
Registered
747 Posts
As to all RUGER 77 rifles being controlled round feed, that is simply not so.

Maybe for the new and current production some may be controlled round feed which requires that the cartridge be first be place in the mag. and fed from there but it is not true with all rifles.

I just tried my Hawkeye stainless 300 win mag, and it will chamber and the bolt will close - with ease - no matter if the cartridge is placed in the mag. or in the chamber.

When the cartridge is in the mag., the extractor slips over the case rim as the bolt moves forward just like in the case of a totally "controlled round feed." However, if the cartridge is simply placed on top of the mag. follower or slid into the chamber, the extractor simply snaps over the cartridge rim as the bolt is closed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
824 Posts
I never understand why people start threads like this and never reply to it again? Are they embarrassed or something?
Probably...I sometimes wonder the same thing...

...or there are a lot of first time gun owners that, who after buying a gun find themselves looking for some help or answers, and have no one to turn to and come to the gun boards with their questions...

Love to help them...they shouldn't be embarrassed either, not everyone was fortunate enough to have been raised around guns...we all started out in the same place.

You know most new gun owners baby the action, rather than cycle it briskly, and will stop when the meet some resistance...

I would suggest leaving the factory ammo in the box get a couple of A Zooms for practice...lot safer...

·
Registered
247 Posts
I've occasionaly encountered the same problem with my GSR, still haven't figured out why.

·
Registered
36 Posts
The Mauser type action, aka controlled feed, will close on a cartridge dropped into the chamber.

I've loaded single rounds that way, when testing loads, for over 35 years (in my M77). When using the blackened projectile method of finding rifling throat depth, that's how you load the round in the chamber.

·
Registered
747 Posts
A true military Mauser controlled feed action WILL NOT close on a cartridge dropped into the chamber, unless the extractor has been modifed.

It was designed then way to prevent a jammed action in combat situations by there being a round in the chamber and the bolt picking up another cartridge from the mag and carring it forward and into contact with the cartridge already chambered.

Any rifle which will allow the full length extractor to snap over the rim of a chambered case, has been modified to allow for that, or so designed to do so from the beginning, but is not a true controlled feed as they were first designed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

·
Registered
824 Posts
A true military Mauser controlled feed action WILL NOT close on a cartridge dropped into the chamber, unless the extractor has been modifed.

It was designed then way to prevent a jammed action in combat situations by there being a round in the chamber and the bolt picking up another cartridge from the mag and carring it forward and into contact with the cartridge already chambered.Any rifle which will allow the full length extractor to snap over the rim of a chambered case, has been modified to allow for that, or so designed to do so from the beginning, but is not a true controlled feed as they were first designed.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
the GSR or at least mine will snap the extractor over the rim of a chambered cartridge. There is some resistance to it as the extractor rides up over the cartridge rim. It's not something I'd normally do. Yet as a test, (using dummy cartridges) I can over ride the extractor with a cartridge in the chamber and close the bolt.

CDOC,
I'm not following you...if there is already a round chambered how would the type of extractor figure into the failure to feed the next round from the magazine? I would assume that until the round that is in the chamber is removed, the type of extractor used on the rifle would not be relevant.

Actually if I had a spent round stuck in the chamber I'd want an extractor that would snap over the rim, so as to at least give me a second shot at clearing it from the action. Before resorting to more drastic measures...

The cartridge followers of many military bolt actions are squared off on the rear so as to not allow the bolt to close until it is manually depressed or live ammunition is present in the magazine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.