Ruger Forum banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
I thought my manual says no 3" shell but only use 2.5" shell. I got mine loaded up with Winchester PDX1 and it got some balls. I thought I'd try my 300gr xtp loads in but think its pointless and too much abuse. My favorite is 45 Clot Galley loads using 454 roundball and Trailboss. Light load but that roundball keals in close on vermins!

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
I have the 3.5" BBL and that will accept 2.5", 2.75" (if you can find any) and 3". I sent Bond Arms an inquiry before I purchased:

Hi Terry P.,

A new answer to your question has been received.
09/12/19 Q: What length .410's will the 3.5" snake slayer accept?
09/13/19 A: This will accept a 2.5, 2.3/4, or 3" 410 shot shell, however, for the 3.5" barrel. If you use the 3" Federal Premium Shot Shell, these have been known to stick. Therefore we are not recommending using this shell through this barrel. Thanks
All I had when I got it was the 3" Federal #6's that were at least 20 years old so I tried them and had no problem with sticking although the pattern seemed thin at 10-15'.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Waking the thread up, cause it’s 2:30 in the morning, and Lamont can’t sleep again. That’s becoming a more and more common occurrence as I get older........

I bought my Snake Slayer a bunch of years ago, at the time, thinking it was the gun for a guy who had everything. I didn’t do much with it, a little carry here and there, but when I started selling off, it kept making the cut. It kept coming along to the range more and more, and fast forward some years, and it has become my most often carried/transported handgun.

It spends most of its time out of the house in the BAD Driving Holster. The Velcro design allows you to add/remove it without fiddling with your belt, so it works great for going in and out of a console, on and off your belt, etc. It is a really easy to conceal rig when carried more to the front, and very comfortable for sitting when shifted more to the side. It handles the weight well, and makes it a good choice for a long day.

My second choice holster is the shoulder rig. It is very well made, and comfortable to carry. You obviously aren’t going to hide the leather straps under a silk shirt, but this rig gets a lot of use from Nov to April, when heavier clothing is appropriate/comfortable in MN.

I would tend to agree with people who say the Bond Arms is a niche gun, or not for everyone. Buying a gun that’s good for everything is like trying to buy a boat that good for everything. Isn’t gonna happen. Mine has the original trigger, and it’s a hard puller. I keep it loaded with 000 or PDX1 99% of the time, and I don’t think the trigger detracts from that kind of shooting. My most oft other carry is an LCR, and the only auto I carry is a Glock 23, so that might help explain my being more tolerant of an average trigger than a lot of guys.

It is really fun to shoot with .38’s. It’s a great round for getting and staying comfortable with it. I’ve run a few .45LC’s through it, (meh) but really my preference is for the .410. Assuming basic, close up defense, I will take my chances with only having two shots of multiple projectiles. Most of my carry pieces are snubby’s anyway. My self defense scenario in my head tends to be one of pretty short distance. The .410’s are a bit snappy, and not something you want to play with a lot, (or I don’t) but it’s very manageable recoil.

I don’t see any reloading in a defense situation as a plausible option, unless you have spent a ton of time practicing. It isn’t a weapon I’ve cared to spend THAT much time with. I have felt that with my limited time to shoot, I can get better return on investment from other platforms. If the first two shots didn’t do their job, by the time you have flipped the thing open, acquired two more shells from however you are carrying them, closed and cocked the thing.....You are either dead, or the guy is too far away to hit with it anyway. I’m sure not that good.

It is also a weapon that my wife has shot, and knows what to expect from. One of the reasons I have moved off a bit from autos, is that my wife has never cared for them, and that isn’t changing as we get older. But from LCR to GP100, or Bond, she’s good with them. The older we get, we travel together more, and I need to have a carry she’s good with.

If you’re a guy with a collection, and just want one cause they’re a 9 on the cool scale? Buy one. If you have other carry pieces, and are looking for a durable, carjack defense, type of gun? Buy one. I do not think I would recommend it to a new shooter, or a shooter with limited resources. They are what I think of as a bad habit gun: hundred pound trigger, and funky sights. And you can buy a bunch of versatility for the same or less money, in another platform.

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
You get one and then you just like how it feels. I bought 2.5" shells and they are easy shooting including the 000 buck. The 3" Federals I have are shot loads and they weren't bad either. I have carried hiking in FL with w #6 shot load in the first BBL to fire and 000 Buck in the second. I pocket carry in a Sticky pocket holster. I also have the Bad Driving Holster.

·
Super Moderator
21,349 Posts
I recently bought a 3" BBL for my snake slayer in 44 Spl. Loaded up some 250 gr cast SWC with Power Pistol and also some 240 Gr JHP's and it is a bit snappy but pretty accurate at social distance. I carry it while working around the property. I will have it on me when I bow hunt as well. Just a fun little handgun to own. As others have said it locks up solid.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tery, Jsut keep in mind that the people who hate Derringers, are the ones who have never shot one.

Mine is laoed with two .410 or a .45 Colt JHP. Far more powerful than the 9mm or 45 left in your safe or car. Or any ,380
pistol.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have been tempted by Bond but they always seem just a little too big for what you get and they are awkward for me to operate.
This is my little trio of Derringers for all reasons.
The conventional American Derringer is 32 magnum which to me is an optimum Derringer round . Loaded with stout double ended wadcutters it actually carries well in a watchpocket.

The other two are double action which is the ONLY reason they can be relied on to be successfully operated in a stressful situation . Just jerk the trigger twice.
This one is 38 spl. and I only use with standard loads. Plus P are too brutal and probably little velocity gain.

Last one is a total POS cheapo but it gets a LOT of carry time . It weighs nothing , and at about half an inch wide it slips into a rear pocket so well.
Chambered in 22lr it does extremely well with snake shot as a walkabout gun. It's a cheap gun that will some day just quit working and that's too bad. I will miss it.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts