Ruger Forum banner

61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
I forgot to mention Man-eaters Of Tsavo. What a hunting story!
Thanks for that recommendation! Just downloaded the Kindle version for free. Will start it as soon as I'm done with the Clive Cussler I'm reading now.
Thanks again ngashoot. Finally got around to this one and loved it! Lots of additional hunting adventures after the man-eaters were taken care of.

I also just watched the movie, "The Ghost and the Darkness". Not entirely factual, but still entertaining.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Jeff Cooper's To Ride, Shoot Straight and Speak the Truth.

Jeff Cooper's Principles of Self Defense

Elmer Keith's Six Guns

The Winning of America series from Allan Eckert. Each on of those books is hard to start but then I couldn't put them down once started. They go from the French and Indian war thru the Blackhawk War.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Currently reading something slightly different from my firearms, shooting, and hunting related books. Currently reading An Army at Dawn about the war in North Africa in WorldWar 2. Very good if you are interested in WW2 history.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
961 Posts
thanks for the recommendation brnwlms. I really like the WW2 histories and will probably pick this one up.

A recent one I've read is "Lost in Shangri-La" about a group that crashed in New Guinea and the ordeal to rescue them. It's not about a battle, but about the lives of those who served and ran into other problems.

A similar book "Frozen in Time: An Epic Story of Survival and a Modern Quest for Lost Heroes of World War II" about a plane crash in Greenland is also a good story. I saw a show on Discovery about this and bought the book.

All the forgotten stories of the greatest generation are fascinating to this guy in his mid 50's

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
True Grit, one that you might want to look at, and keep in mind that I have not read it and is only in my stack of waiting to get red books is I could never be so lucky again, the autobiography of General Jimmy Doolittle. As you are a WW2 buff, he probably needs no introduction.

·
Registered
961 Posts
True Grit, one that you might want to look at, and keep in mind that I have not read it and is only in my stack of waiting to get red books is I could never be so lucky again, the autobiography of General Jimmy Doolittle. As you are a WW2 buff, he probably needs no introduction.

That will definitely be added to my list. Saw the movie 30 seconds over Tokyo and the just watched the new Midway movie that included Doolittle's bombing. Unbelievable!

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #68

That will definitely be added to my list. Saw the movie 30 seconds over Tokyo and the just watched the new Midway movie that included Doolittle's bombing. Unbelievable!

What Doolittle did should be taught to every student in this country. His patriotism, determination, ingenuity and willingness to go above and beyond the call of duty in the service of his country, our country, is amazing and inspiring. I know that he is not alone in these characteristics, but to read his story in his own words has me excited and looking forward to cracking that book open.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
After a WWII tangent that ended last night with finishing up “To Hell And Back” by Audie Murphy, I am back to hunting and shooting themed books. Today I started “C Stories” by the legendary Jeff Cooper. I have all his books with the exception of one, maybe two, including the whole gargantuan series. So far, classic Cooper, and that is a good thing. He is a classic warrior poet.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,570 Posts
A few of my favorites i read about Vietnam at the height of the war.

Guns Up! by Johnnie Clark

Silent Warrior by Charles Henderson ( Carlos Hathcock)

Marine Sniper by Charles Henderson also ( Carlos Hathcock)

One shot, one kill by Charles Sasser

Latet special forces reading...

The Mission, the men, and me by Pete Blaber

War Stories of the Green Berets by Hans Halberstadt

Report from Engine Company 82 by Dennis Smith ( Firefighting related)

Just a few good ones i dove into.

61 - 70 of 70 Posts