Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m working out the coast this weekend, but a colleague from a hospital in the People’s Republic of Portland called me yesterday for a “consult“ about a case that the ambulance hauled in.

As she presented it, the patient, a 26 year old male, arrived with extensive injuries to his face, right hand and the middle part of his left arm. X-rays showed multiple small metallic-density fragments in the injured areas. The picture she sent showed a massive, jagged laceration of the right cheek starting just under the right eye - which appears to be damaged - and ending below and behind the right ear.

There are also some minor burns of the face and right hand.

The ambulance crew stated that they picked up the “victim” at a gravel quarry outside of Estacada, OR (south and east of Portland) that is frequently used for “informal target shooting”. People at the scene reported that the “victim” was shooting an “AK-47” and it “blew up”.

I thought It was odd that such extensive injuries could come from a simple “out of battery” firing, but I didn’t think much about it until I got a text from a Clackamas County deputy his afternoon. He had called my colleague with some followup questions and had relayed some information that she felt I should know...

The “victim’s” roommate eventually admitted that he and the “victim” were “concerned about attack by white supremacists” (both are white, but apparently “ANTIFA-affiliated“, according to the deputy) and had been reloading 7.63X39 ammunition because of the ammunition shortage.

Since they didn’t have any reloading gear, they had gone to the roommate’s parents’ house (when they were out of town) and used his father’s reloading equipment. Not knowing anything about reloading, they had picked a powder at random, filled the case full of powder and stuffed in a likely-looking bullet.

The roommate’s father was very cooperative and reported that it looked like they had picked the powder he had on the bench at the time: Bullseye.

Oops.

·
Registered
3,197 Posts
I shake my head. Was that the first shot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
I hate hearing stories like that...........mistakes like that happen to seasoned reloaders too.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I shake my head. Was that the first shot?
I’m guessing it was - I can’t imaging that an AKM (hardly anyone has an actual AK-47 with a machined receiver) could remain intact after a case-full charge of Bullseye went off. They’re made tough but not indestructible.

Anyone have an idea of how many grains of Bullseye that would have been? I don’t shoot or reload 7.62X39, so I have no idea. My references say that the 7.62X39 case holds 35.6 grains of water.

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,660 Posts
I'm glad the idiot is still alive after pulling a stunt like that. At least no innocent paid the price for their foolishness. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. And they are worried about "white supremacists"!😂🤣

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Well thats going to leave a mark 🤯

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
....so I'm guessing that the Bullseye powder was a tad too much?

·
Registered
432 Posts
While I would find it very hard to 'award' anyone the power to decide who and why, I believe that there are occasions where involuntary sterilization might be the right answer!

Bruce

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
While Reloading may not be Rocket Science ... it's not a good hobby for fools , idiots and the intellectually disabled .
Gary

·
Premium Member
13,950 Posts
Seriously...............these clowns are lucky to be alive.

·
Registered
6,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, I checked the SDS on Bullseye powder and it lists a specific gravity of 1.5 (approximate), so an absolutely full 7.62X39 case would hold 51.5 grains of Bullseye. Knock off a few grains to allow a bullet to fit in and call it 45-46 grains of Bullseye.

I think that’s beyond what the manufacturer recommends.

Reactions: mndoggie

·
Registered
62 Posts
After 78 years witnessing or reading about stupidity in practice you would think the story would shock me. However it did. even some very stupid people have a modicum of common sense. Obviously not so with the pair who did it.

·
Registered
5,618 Posts
OK, I checked the SDS on Bullseye powder and it lists a specific gravity of 1.5 (approximate), so an absolutely full 7.62X39 case would hold 51.5 grains of Bullseye. Knock off a few grains to allow a bullet to fit in and call it 45-46 grains of Bullseye.
I didn’t use any chart or computer program, I did a powder dump on a piece of Lapua brass.........it holds 27.7 grains of water.

With Bullseye I could only get 19.2 grains of powder in, stopping at the neck.

With CFE223, again stopping at the neck, I was able to drop 29 grains.

Bullseye is a very lite powder........the case was full but the weight isn’t there. I’m sure vibrating the case, (the same way one deals with a compressed load) would allow for a little extra powder to be dropped but I doubt it would be a significant amount.

A full case of Bullseye in any caliber will prove to be disastrous regardless of weight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts