Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,317 Posts
The dynamic duo probably wouldn’t notice it either if the dad left talcum powder on the reloading bench

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Anyone have quick load to run the numbers real quick to get an idea of the pressure we are taking about, assuming the proper projectile, which sounds like is no guarantee.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
According to QuickLOAD, a 7.62x39 case will hold a mere 19.5 gr of Bullseye, leaving just enough room for a seated bullet. QL also predicts a chamber pressure of 111,311 psi .... probably a tad more than the chamber can hold.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
According to QuickLOAD, a 7.62x39 case will hold a mere 19.5 gr of Bullseye, leaving just enough room for a seated bullet. QL also predicts a chamber pressure of 111,311 psi .... probably a tad more than the chamber can hold.
Ouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
According to QuickLOAD, a 7.62x39 case will hold a mere 19.5 gr of Bullseye
I guess I better check my scale, I missed it by .3 grains........ :p

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,181 Posts
I would believe an actual measurement over a computer prediction.

Reactions: fixitagain

·
Registered
5,638 Posts
My old Pacific is dead-nuts on.........trying to eyeball the shoulder/neck junction and fill to it isn’t always easy. Close enough though.

ETA: Interesting numbers on the pressure level, I assumed it would be high, but WOW.

·
Registered
6,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Well, he will probably have to spend extended time in his "safe place":oops:
Well, right now, his “safe space” is a hospital bed...

Well, THERE’S your problem!

That would explain why the bolt tore through the back of the receiver and ended up tearing up his face.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I do believe that is a tad more pressure than the firearm was made to take on a regular basis!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’m working out the coast this weekend, but a colleague from a hospital in the People’s Republic of Portland called me yesterday for a “consult“ about a case that the ambulance hauled in.

As she presented it, the patient, a 26 year old male, arrived with extensive injuries to his face, right hand and the middle part of his left arm. X-rays showed multiple small metallic-density fragments in the injured areas. The picture she sent showed a massive, jagged laceration of the right cheek starting just under the right eye - which appears to be damaged - and ending below and behind the right ear.

There are also some minor burns of the face and right hand.

The ambulance crew stated that they picked up the “victim” at a gravel quarry outside of Estacada, OR (south and east of Portland) that is frequently used for “informal target shooting”. People at the scene reported that the “victim” was shooting an “AK-47” and it “blew up”.

I thought It was odd that such extensive injuries could come from a simple “out of battery” firing, but I didn’t think much about it until I got a text from a Clackamas County deputy his afternoon. He had called my colleague with some followup questions and had relayed some information that she felt I should know...

The “victim’s” roommate eventually admitted that he and the “victim” were “concerned about attack by white supremacists” (both are white, but apparently “ANTIFA-affiliated“, according to the deputy) and had been reloading 7.63X39 ammunition because of the ammunition shortage.

Since they didn’t have any reloading gear, they had gone to the roommate’s parents’ house (when they were out of town) and used his father’s reloading equipment. Not knowing anything about reloading, they had picked a powder at random, filled the case full of powder and stuffed in a likely-looking bullet.

The roommate’s father was very cooperative and reported that it looked like they had picked the powder he had on the bench at the time: Bullseye.

Oops.
Another shining example of the "future of our country" amongst the current gen. I hate to see anyone needlessly hurt but my empathy doesn't extend to the ANTIFA types. On a plus side, MAYBE this news will spread and make his buddies think twice about playing with firearms.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Another sad element is that rather than admit their own stupidity to their friends and public, he'll forever go through life telling people that his scars were from an attack by the said white supremacists, and the media will delight in telling it that way as well.

·
Super Moderator
21,262 Posts
I guess I better check my scale, I missed it by .3 grains........ :p
Really doesn't make a lot of difference as it is lift off with either load. 🗼

Reactions: Mark204

·
Super Moderator
21,262 Posts
According to Snopes.com, that quote from AOC never really happened. I know she is not a friend of 2A, but let's not repeat fake attacks, please.
How about "You better put some ice on that"? That work better.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts